- explain your L.A.N. Local Area Network - all the devices on your internet connection.
- reflect on what you learned about networks, did you have an OMG moment that you learned something new and interesting? if now write about what you learned.
- what would you tell other people that they need to know about having an ISP/Home network?
- I have, in all, about 11 devices connected to my local area network, which is connected to my local router (wirelessly), which connects to my modem, which, in turn, connects to my internet provider via COAX cable to bring me internet
- Nope, I did not learn anything new, other than what type of cable connects to my internet provider. And that wasn't surprising.
- Know what type of internet you have, how it connects to your provider, if you have a wireless router, and basically everything to know about it.
On September 30th I went to William McKinley Elementry to see if I can do My ILp there with the school councilor. She wanted me to get it approved for/by Jeremy that I can go and she wanted to send her a discription of what SLAs ilp all intitles So she can get it approved by their Principal.
On October 7, after emailing my advisor the previous dayor day of about my IlP whom instructed me to talk to Jeremy. I met With Jermy and He basically wrote a Permission Slip and Emailed her at discription of SLAs ILP and what we do there. After we got that situated. I talked to a young man about his behavier and all
On october 14th, I went to my ILP and helped six eighth graders review their highschool selection sheet/page and helped them eliminated schools they didnt qualify for and recommended ones they did and given them a list of that schoolsrequirements.
I think all went well. I am looking forward to talking to the students and helping them out.
- What really went well with my ILP is being able to do it any where at any time, so I could get what I needed done on my time really. If I had something coming up Wednesday after school, I could do the grant research (My ILP) at another time.
- I'm really looking forward to seeing the company I am working for grow and expand, using my research.
- It's stood out to me how unimportant my ILP seemed at first, but then I realized that it's extremely important to the company I'm working for (Girls Thinking Global)
- I think it's really important that these people recruited me to do this job without knowing about ILP's, which is AWESOME, since I can now complete their work and my work all in one, instead of trying to manage this plus another ILP!
In my house, I have up to 10 devices connected to my internet at one time. There are 3 cellphones, 2 laptops, a desktop computer, a Nikon camera, a Sony speaker, an Xbox, and a Wii. We use most of them every day, but not the Wii and Xbox. Most of our devices connect to the internet wirelessly. The desktop is the only one that connects with a wire to the router. The rest use WiFi.
While we learned about our networks, I learned a lot about how the internet actually works, and about how a home network is put together. I was kind of confused when we first started this unit. I have an Apple router that is very visible in my house, and I thought that it was my modem and my router. I ended up doing the first assignment incorrectly because of this and had to go back and find my modem. When I went back, I was very surprised to see that it connects to my router through my walls! I had heard that this might be the case during out class discussions, but I didn't know it was like that in my house. I had definitely never seen the holes in my floor! I also learned a lot about how the internet works. I didn't realize that information travels through packets all around the world and into space to get back to you. I had no idea how much trouble my Netflix shows had to go through to get onto my screen.
We also learned about ISPs, and how they control how fast our internet is. This made me kind of upset. We pay so much money for internet and they can give us slow connection on purpose just because they feel like it! I'm not sure if this is a marketing scheme or what but it seems pretty messed up to me. This makes me appreciate it more when the internet is fast and works well, and very angry when it isn’t.
If I could tell other people something about their home network, it would be that they should know how it connects to the world. I think it is really cool to see how the chords go outside and into the city. We are all really connected in that way, which is interesting because people are so different most of the time. I think that they should also know about the big corporations. What we learned about how our ISPs might make things off limits if you don’t have their network is insane! People should be able to view whatever they want on whatever network they have. As we said in class, that might be a violation of freedom of speech, which is not okay at all. I know that I have strong feelings about this, but I would have never known about it without learning about my network. That’s why I think that others should get the chance to learn about it, too.
2. While doing this project I found one interesting thing, it’s about the wires. For example`, I didn’t know that there were so many wires and I didn’t know where to put them or where they go. I found it interesting because each router has a different wire to make it work.
3. If I could tell people about their ISP, I would probably tell them the different wire that they use and where it will go. I would tell them like how some things you’ll need a wire if the modem is not wireless