Acceptable Use Policy Science Leadership Academy values technology and encourages its use in creative ways to support student learning in a safe and secure learning environment. This policy is a guide ensuring the appropriate use as well as safety for all community members. While these technologies provide powerful learning opportunities, they must be used responsibly. Laptops are the School District of Philadelphiaʼs property, we strongly encourage that the insurance purchased. That way if there is any major damage families are only liable for the deductible. All non-insured machines will be repaired at full cost. The following rules apply to any device connected to the School District of Philadelphia’s network. Learning always takes priority while using SLA's wireless and hardwired internet connections.The following guidelines apply to any school device, whenever it is in use, and any device logged into the the School District of Philadelphia’s network. Some of these rules differ for home use, so it is the responsibility of the student to know the difference and to adhere to the School District of Philadelphia's network rules and Acceptable Use Policy while in school.
• SLA/SDP issued laptops must remain in the possession and care of the assigned student at all times.
• Other’s people’s data is their personal property and may not be explored without permission from the owner.
• Only access areas of the network you have been given permission to access at school
• Respect intellectual property rights and do not load any game, video or music file on your machine that is not paid for or have the rights to use by you.
• Do not play games at school, unless school and parent approved
• Respect class time as vital and important and do not chat online or play music/videos unless given permission by your teacher.
• Treat others with respect and kindness and remember that social media is a public record of who you are so do not post or send any message/picture/sound/video that is obscene, rude, harassing or insulting to anyone
• Treat others with respect and kindness and do not attack, threaten or intimidate another member of our community via technology (or otherwise)
• Always obtain permission from others before taking or posting their pictures.
• Downloading movies, music, pictures, or playing online games takes up valuable bandwidth; therefore, do not do so on your school issued laptops
• All personal files must be saved on an external hard drive/cloud space and are not to be stored on the hard drive
• Download only materials or intellectual property that you have purchased and always avoid illegal downloads.
• Peer to peer file sharing is strictly prohibited and monitored by the School District of Philadelphia
• SLA has a strict academic integrity policy; do not plagiarize.
• Only send content that is directly associated with your learning
• Be mindful of others and do not deliberately or negligently spread viruses, malware, or spyware Science Leadership Academy and The School District of Philadelphia will monitor user data and internet access and has the right to check the contents of any electronic device brought onto the schoolʼs premises or on any official school event. Educational use of the network and computer resources takes precedence over non-educational use. This statement covers (but is not limited to) the use of any and all electronic devices owned by the school and by the students that are brought onto schoolʼs premises or at other official school functions. An email address with the suffix @scienceleadership.org and a public Blogger blog for sharing projects both within and outside of the school community will be provided to all students. This address and this blog are to be used for school-related business. Your private account should be used for all other communications. Communicating online is very much like communicating with people in person. You must be respectful of others at all times. Remember that all email & Canvas messages can be read by the SLA Technology Team and the administration. Donʼt write anything you would not want to share with teachers and parents. While many members of SLA, including staff members, use instant messaging and blogging software to communicate, part of the learning experience at SLA is to responsibly use these types of communication methods as part of your school day. Above all follow the school rules: Respect Yourself ~ Respect the Community ~ Respect SLA as a Place of Learning
*this policy is subject to change at any time