Ben Carson: Gifted Hands

Ben Carson: Gifted Hands

The complete autobiography of the famed African American Neurosurgeon. This is his tale of grit and hard work in a time where the odds were in the complete opposite of his favor.

Spanning the from the late 1950’s up to the late 2000’s, Gifted hands covers more than 55 years of Dr. Carson’s life. At a young age, Carson’s mother and father split after the revelation of his father’s second family. Carson’s mother battled with a lack of education, mental disorders, and finance as she struggled to raise her two sons in the city of Detroit at the peak of the civil rights movement. Although today we know Dr. Carson as one of the most talented surgeons in America, he was consistently the bottom of his class throughout his elementary years of schooling. His mother, working under successful caucasian families, drew inspiration from her employers on values to instill within her own children. By the time Carson graduated from the eighth grade, he was the top of his class. Of course, his successes at his all white school were not met with approval from his peers. On top of racial discrimination, Carson struggled with a severe anger management problem. However, he didn’t let these obstacles hinder him. He continued to excel through high school, reaching achievements high enough to earn him acceptance to Yale University. There, Carson met his wife, Candy. Drawing from the values of hard work, integrity, and his strong belief in god Dr. carson has achieved many successes in his career.

This is an autobiography, allowing the reader to feel more of an intimate relationship with the author. Along with relaying the events of his life, Carson also gives us insights on his thoughts throughout each event. Considering the level of education and knowledge Dr. Carson possesses, the book reads very much at a basic level. The book has a very relaxed and informal tone, almost as if you are sitting in your quaint living room having a conversation with a man probably miles away from your home. By doing this, you can vividly see the way the Dr. Carson matures as he ages.  

Whether you believe the book was written well or not,  it has a certain value to society’s youth. Not just African American youth, but to any young person who aspires to do anything great in his or her lifetime. Observing the way that Dr. Carson overcame adversity, not through natural talent, but pure grit and hard work is one of the biggest inspirations a child can receive. It reinforces the hackneyed message that we can achieve anything if we put our minds to it. I believe that actually seeing this played out is extremely valuable.

Gifted Hands
By: Ben Carson
Published: Review and Herald 1990
Pages:224
This is a photo biography of Ben Carson's life. The music playing in the background is Fur Elise written by Beethoven which represents Dr. Carson's fondness of classical music.

https://drive.google.com/a/scienceleadership.org/file/d/0B6Cc-ylOZ3jzejAwQjJGVlBKVjQ/edit?usp=sharing