Blade Runner Lit log

The film Blade Runner utilized a variety of different cinematic elements in its production. Not only did these techniques increase the audience’s understanding of the movie, both consciously and unconsciously, they gave us unique insights into some characters that we may not have had otherwise. Director Ridley Scott had more control of the final cut that we watched, so all of the details were intentionally laid out by him. One of the key aspects of this film was the camerawork that went into establishing the setting of the cramped, polluted city. In practically every scene where Deckard is in the street (though especially during the chase scene with Zhora), Deckard is not the closest thing to the camera. The camera is either looking through windows, crowds of people, or other pieces of the set. It all makes the audience feel more cramped and trapped as we try to figure out what is going on — exactly what Deckard must feel as he is pushing his way through the street. In other similar scenes, such as the investigation of the snake scale or the noodle scene at the beginning, the shots are also similar, with very few direct shots of Deckard, almost as if he is getting lost in the confusion of the city. Scott chose these types of shots to immerse the audience into the setting and almost put ourselves into the life of this dystopian city. The lighting is another important way Scott helps the audience understand the setting. There is very little natural lighting, with most scenes being lit by colorful neon lights or different lamps indoors. It is depressing that whenever these characters walk outside they are met with this smoggy artificial light and absolutely no natural light at all. Pretty much the only time we ever see any natural light is in Dr. Tyrell’s apartement, which is fancy and luxurious. The sun shines through the massive floor to ceiling window and the whole room is lit up. This really highlights the setting, but also gives us a better understanding of the classes and rules of how the world works in a more effective way than simply telling us would. Sunlight seems like a luxury that most people cannot afford to ever see, they just live their lives in artificial light. Tyrell is one of the most wealthy people and he is the only one that can really enjoy the sunlight. This made me less sympathetic with him in a way because he seemed to be very intelligent, but extremely detached from the reality of the world and the consequences of his actions. The apartment of JF Sebastian, specifically his “toys,” the genetically engineered people are definitely a deliberate choice. The toys are all strange, having strange shapes, weird voices, and often not being able to walk correctly. These toys very much contrast with the Replicants that Deckard is hunting, who seem to share a lot more with real humans than they do with these odd little creatures. This highlights one of the main struggles of the movie: if replicants are essentially the same as humans, why are they treated differently. It is easy to think of these toys as just that, toys, which is intentional. But the seemingly human nature of the Replicants, who appear human, as well as seemingly having feelings and emotions is very different. The replicants are vastly more human than the toys which indicates it is the way you think, not whether you are made in a lab or not which makes you a person or not. Blade Runner utilizes a variety of different film and theatrical techniques to immerse the audience and make them feel like they are really in the world of the movie while also giving them a deeper understanding of the issues that are prevalent throughout this world. These make the film come to life and make the audience more emotionally invested in the film.