Blog Post #4

The Child Nutrition Act FINALLY got passed in the House and Senate therefore finally laying in the Presidents hands who is likely to sign off on the bill since he fully supports it. The first step Megan and I will conduct is to write a letter to our local Representative and Senators showing our support and thanks for the child nutrition act. We are aware that Senator Casey has previously expressed great concern and fully supports the child nutrition act.
This following letter was sent to Bob Brady, Arlen Specter and Bob Casey
Dear  ____,

My partner and I have been working on our lobbying group that is in support of the Child Nutrition Act 2010. Through out the years, obesity has become a common problem in the United States and it was important that our government took a stand in reducing obesity. It was significant that they included schools in their plan because majority of the children spend most of their time in a educational setting while they also receive school lunches. Our lobbying group has followed the process since the renewal plan has been brought  on the table.  

As Philadelphia students from Science Leadership Academy, we have experienced many students like ourselves who rely on free lunches in school due to financial difficulties.  Since obesity is a common problem throughout our country, we are thankful that you have been able to take action. We ask  for your continuous support on the Child Nutrition Act improving the lives of those students who especially rely on school for their daily food. We applaud your effort in helping students build the message about the importance of healthy lunches and that they are able to rely on their schools to help receive a comfortable amount of food daily. If you would like to take any steps in improving the child nutrition act, we stand by your side and will show our full support. Thank you for your effort and concern. 

-Rumman Haq & Megan Doe

In the above email we wanted to show them that students like us are aware of the child nutrition act and show how we have been working on it in school. Megan and I wanted to add that they should continue to improve the act but if they stay on the same path, they have our support.