Bundy, Kenyatta; Senior Capstone

For Senior year, we are required to complete a “Capstone”; a large project that is completely decided by you, and is the medium of your choice. For my Capstone, my partner Alhaji Koita and I, decided to go with an art piece that would live on SLA walls for as long as SLA remains in it’s current building. With that said though, we wanted it to have purpose, and represent the school and our entire community in some way. So after a lot of road blocks, speed bumps and detours, we finally decided to paint a “Periodic Table of SLA”. The concept was simple; paint a large periodic table, but instead of having it contain the elements, we would replace the letters with different students/teacher’s initials, and replace the element name with 1 word that describes SLA from those corresponding people. Because the project is so large, and we did not use our time in a way that is ideal, we’re not actually completely finished our project yet. With that said though, it will be completely finished within the next week, and it will be completely amazing. This entire process taught me a lot, from time management, to color schemes and making sure that we chose colors that matched and went well together, to even the simple act of painting and learning different painting techniques. With the piece 75% complete, we have already received nothing but positive feedback and we couldn’t be happier with how it’s turning out. I’d personally like to thank my capstone mentor, Ms. Giknis for supporting us every step of the way, as well as every single person who either gave me permission to put them on the wall, or aided in the process of us completing this piece. And most importantly, I’d like to thank Mr. Lehmann for founding a school that couldn’t even be summed up with 90 different adjectives. 

Bibliography

"10 Sure-Fire School Fundraisers." Scholastic.com. Scholastic, n.d. Web. 29 Jan. 2015. <http://www.scholastic.com/parents/resources/article/volunteering-fundraising/10-sure-fire-school-fundraisers>.

From the start, I knew that this would be a very good source for me when it came to it’s reliability and overall content. This is due to the fact that this was a Scholastic article directed towards teachers and administrators all over the nation. This source specifically focuses on fundraising within schools and provides 10 solid ideas for fundraisers that are both inexpensive and interesting. This source will help me by giving me a few fresh new ideas for fundraising that has not been done in SLA already. The only problem with this source is the fact that it’s really directed towards high school’s and is more appropriate for Elementary and Middle School. 

"100 Fundraising Ideas." 100 Fundraising Ideas. Juniata College, n.d. Web. 29 Jan. 2015. <http://services.juniata.edu/osa/100FundraisingIdeas.html>.

This source was another one that focuses on fundraising, but it’s a better one than the previous one due to the fact that it shows me 100 sources and not only that, it is specifically directed towards the college environment. Although SLA isn’t a college, this does give me fundraising ideas that are geared much more to my age group rather than students who are younger. This source also is highly reliable due to the fact that it was put out by Juniata, for their specific campus and students. This means that I will be able to trust that these are ideas that have worked in the past and could potentially work for me. With that said though, not all of the ideas relate directly towards me due to the simple fact that it is Juniata specific and refers to things that have nothing to do with the high school environment. 

Dart, D. C. "How To Build A Custom Sized Stretched Canvas." Instructables.com. Autodesk, n.d. Web. 29 Jan. 2015. <http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Build-A-Custom-Sized-Stretched-Canvas/>.

At first glance I did not think that this would be a very reliable source due to the fact that it was basically a blog post, which meant that anyone could have created this post without any real knowledge of what they were doing. But after I really sat down and read the instructions and the description of the author, I knew that this would be a good place for me to get the basic background knowledge that I needed in order to figure out how to build a frame for a canvas like the one I will be using for my art piece. I will still need to look at other sources that discuss how to build a frame for a canvas but this will definitely be a good place to start. 

Eckman, Megan. "How to Use a Grid to Enlarge an Image While Drawing - Tuts+ Design & Illustration Tutorial." Design & Illustration Tuts+. Envato, 22 Apr. 2014. Web. 29 Jan. 2015. <http://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-use-a-grid-to-enlarge-an-image-while-drawing--cms-20593>.

One big part of creating a large artistic piece is the process of going from a simple drawing on printer paper, to a full scale art piece. In order to do this accurately, I would need to use a grid method so that I know that all of the proportions are accurate and that it will look exactly like my original drawing. I also believe that this is a very good source to use when it comes to creating an art piece due to the fact that it has all the makings of a reliable piece and was done by an artist who knows what she’s talking about due to the fact that she teaches people how to be artists in her everyday life. 

"How To Finish Up Your Colored Pencil Project." Onlinepaintingstudiocom. N.p., 2012. Web. 29 Jan. 2015. <http://onlinepaintingstudio.com/colored-pencil-paintingtutorials/colored-pencil-tutorial-series-finishing-up-your-project/>.

This source was very important for me because I have never made a piece of art that was going to be hung up for the public. Due to the fact that I will be hanging this up for everyone in SLA to see, I will need to ensure that my piece looks professional. A big part of that is what exactly I am supposed to do with my project once I am done. That’s where this source comes into play. This article gives me a detailed explanation of what it is that I should do with my piece once I am ready to finish it. From the protection, to the framing, to the varnish, this source covers it all and does so in an easy to understand way. I also know that this is a reliable source since it is ran and written by a very accomplished artist who has been doing work since before I was even born. 

Kyer, Libby. "Colored Pencil Painting." No Really, That's How I Do It. American Society of Botanical Artists, n.d. Web. 29 Jan. 2015. <https://www.asba-art.org/article/no-really-thats-how-i-do-it-colored-pencil-painting>.

I know that I mentioned that my last source was very important but this is probably the most important source of all my sources. This is due to the fact that I will be working solely with colored pencils for this piece and it is very important that I am very aware of all the techniques that I can utilize while I work on this in order to create the best painting that I can. Also I know that this is probably my most reliable source when it comes to the artistic techniques due to the fact that this is the American Society of Botanical Artists’ website which lets me know that all of these techniques will have been very much tried and tested. 

McArdle, Thaneeya. "Best Surface for Colored Pencil and Acrylic Mixed Media Art." Best Surface for Colored Pencil and Acrylic Mixed Media Art. N.p., 2015. Web. 29 Jan. 2015. <http://www.art-is-fun.com/best-surface-for-colored-pencil-and-acrylic-mixed-media-art.html>.

I’m not really sure exactly how reliable this source is due to the fact that it is basically a blog, but I believe that the information on the site is accurate since it lines up with everything else that I have been reading. This source focuses on the best surfaces (papers) to work on when one is using colored pencils. This is important for me because of the fact that I am not very well versed with colored pencil painting, which means that I have no clue of what kind of paper I should really be using for my piece. After reading this though, I now have a basic knowledge of the papers that should be used when colored pencil is the chosen medium. 

McNee, Lori. "Using Colored Pencils to Create Fine Art." The Art of and Fine Art Tips of Lori McNee. N.p., 3 Feb. 2010. Web. 29 Jan. 2015. <http://www.finearttips.com/2010/02/using-colored-pencil-to-create-fine-art/>.

This source is very good for me when it comes to it’s artistic techniques due to the fact that it allows me to really get a deeper grasp on exactly what I should be doing when I use colored pencils to create a large, professional piece of art. Since this source is written and ran by the same person, and this person happens to be a very successful artist, I know that I can look at this source as a very reliable one. This will come in handy throughout the entire process due to the fact that it will allow for me to have a place to go back to when I want to do something with colored pencils that I don’t fully know how to do. 

Pemberton, Lo. "Mounting and Framing Your Pencil Portrait." Web log post. How to Draw... N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Jan. 2015. <http://howtodraw.pencilportraitsbyloupemberton.co.uk/step-by-step-drawing-6-to-10/mounting-framing-pencil-portrait/>.

This is the source that I needed in order to confirm what I learned in one of my previous sources when it came to framing a piece. This source does an amazing job of breaking down every little detail about the type of frame I should use, how I should frame it, the size the frame should be; everything. This source does reiterate what I learned from my other source when it comes to framing my piece but it also goes more in depth than my other one did. I also know that this source is reliable due to the fact that it was written by a well versed artist and is on a very popular art blog by the name of “how to draw”. 

Truman, Vicki. "Surfaces for Colored Pencil Painting." Onlinepaintingstudiocom. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Jan. 2015. <http://onlinepaintingstudio.com/colored-pencil-paintingtutorials/surfaces-for-colored-pencil-painting/>.

This final source gives me some basic knowledge about exactly what surfaces I should use while using colored pencils. I knew that I needed to find another source that covered this topic because I wasn’t exactly sure how reliable my other source that covered this topic was. This is also the same website that I used for one of my other sources, so I already know that this is a site that I would consider reliable. This will really help me out in the beginning stages of my creation due to the fact that I will know exactly what paper I should be using in order to show off the positive qualities of the colored pencils that I will be using.