Bureaucracy Blog Reflection: Welfare

My partner and I research and took on the task of apply for welfare. We discovered that there are multiple steps that one can take. There is the option to apply separately apply for cash benefits, food stamps, and medical assistance or all together.

Depending on if one wants all the benefits there are different processes but everyone must fill out an application and mail or bring it to their local county assistance office. From there a face-to-face interview may occur, a Mutual Responsibility Form will be filled out (if granted cash and medical assistance) and electronic transferring will begin.

The application was long and difficult. It requirement extensive information about the person applying for welfare, each other their family members, significant other, jobs, education, housing, and more. At times it seemed repetitive. It made me wonder how difficult it might be for someone who really is in need that might not have a phone, house, proper identification, etc.

One thing about the welfare system I wish could be changed is some of the people that take part in the system. There are people that certainly do abuse the system. For example, using cash benefits for drugs or other unnecessary things. I cannot think of a proper way to assess but there should be a back up for people that participate in cash benefits especially. This is one of the reasons why the system has become so complicated; there are so many people that apply that could potentially abuse the system. In addition, there are too many people involved such as, those that are in need, the government, the civilians that contribute to those in need, etc.

It was an interesting experience applying for welfare. I realized how hard it could be for one in need to get help. The research I did also put welfare into perspective for me.  I’m happy to have had this experience.