#Disablelabels

Before you start reading this blog post, make sure you check out my previous blog post. Blog post 1 was my introduction to my project on labeling women. Blog Post 2 was about the data and researched I gathered about some of the females in my school getting labels that don't describe them.

In my research, some of the things that have been done to raise awareness to my issue of labeling women included: customized T-shirts and a twitter page. The best way I thought would bring awareness to the issue of labeling women was to make T-shirts, and not just any T-shirts. The shirts had labels that certain students had chosen, and underneath the label there was the real definition of the word chosen. Following that, the hashtag: #disablelabels was written above the Twitter Page: @disablelabels. The whole point of it was to prove that you can't let labels define who people are. Most of the labels are used incorrectly.

Images: This is a picture of two students ( Alexa Lahr & Elias Sell) wearing T-shirts with the labels they had chosen to represent.

My opinion on making shirts and creating a Twitter page, is that I feel it's a great way to get the topic noticed. After all, most of the shirts that students had purchased the shirts (for $3.00) chose the bright colors. For example, neon pink, white, and even lime green. The goal of that was to catch someone's eyes (which it did). While my agent of change was going on, I realized that it caught people's eyes, but there had to be a lot of explaining to do when you have the label ¨whore¨ or ¨bitch¨ in big black letters written across your shirt.Even though a lot of people were in on this project, I achieved educating a lot of people about labeling women based off their physical features and/or personality.

Take a look at that shirt on the image above. A lot of people assumed that a human who has a skinny body is anorexic. They are wrong! That is just one of many examples of how people use words against others without knowing the real definition.

Image on the left: (Kara Lazorko & Kara Heenan)

I have change happen so far, because people are now educated on the real definitions of these labels mainly given to women. Doing this project, I felt very passionate about it, and I had a lot of hope that those who agree that labeling women is wrong, would support the project. I learned that not everyone is going to understand what I was doing for my project, but it never hurts to take a few minutes to explain it to them. Overall, the one thing I could have done better was managing my time better. Nothing is still left for others and I to make a change, but just make sure to continue to spread the word.

Check out my annotated bibliography