Hikma Salhe Capstone

Abstract: 

The purpose of this capstone is to help people understand the power media has over us as a society. There isn’t a lot of ‘good’ coverage about muslims in media, so I thought that it would be a great learning experience, both for myself and my classmates, about Muslims. Many are not aware of the affect the media has on how we perceive the things around us. With the different terrorist attacks that have happened in the past year, the relationship between muslims and the rest of the world has been an estranged one. Initially, I had not expected to focus on the portrayal of muslims, however, as time progressed, I realized that it was a topic that I felt strongly about. I conducted a series of interviews of students in my school, my final product is a website and a documentary/interview style video. By the end of this project, I hope to be able to teach people about stereotypes, effect of media, and differences. This learning goal is appropriate for me because it is something that I feel very strong about as a young, female Muslim living in a Western Society.