How to Obtain a Liquor License

The bureaucratic function I chose to investigate further was how to obtain a liquor license.

The process to obtain a liquor license isn't that strenuous, but it does take a lot of time and money. The application fee in Philadelphia can range between $65,000 and $100,000. You submit the fee with the application and all necessary documents to the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board, which then starts an investigation through the applicant's history. If you have a criminal record your application can almost immediately be disregarded. Throughout the investigation you must submit a public notice to your local newspaper incase the public has any objections to you receiving a liquor license. 

All of the required paperwork was relatively easy to fill out. All of the questions were straight forward. We were also asked to supply the proposed food menu, interior/exterior designs, a code compliance certificate for the premises.

I think all parts of this process are necessary. The application fee, to an extent, ensures that only qualified people obtain a liquor license. The public has a right to know who is serving alcohol in their neighborhood, and it is essential to make sure that no criminals receive a license. 

Bureaucratic functions have become increasingly difficult to obtain because it is essential that, at least in this situation,  only qualified applicants make it through the process.

Aserrano Flow Chart