Journal Of Richard Nixon

nixon5

Journal of Richard Nixon

September 23, 1969

God, its bad enough that you have the whole country complaining about the Vietcong but no, these damned hippies have to get drugged up and push back every single incursion you try to start. I put that attorney general John Mitchell to work on drafting up a new statue. The plan is to combine every existing drug law into one comprehensive act. After I read over the whole thing we can send it over to the feds and get this going.

December 24,1969

So we’re calling it the “Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act” Clever huh? The draft ran to 91 pages. Mitchell separated the dope into five sections, section one being the highest offense and section 5 being the lowest. The section 1’s are all the highly addictive crap like heroin, pot, and Mdma. We lay it out like this.

"Placement on schedules; findings required

Except ... The findings required for each of the schedules are as follows:

(1) Schedule I.—

(A) The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse.

(B) The drug or other substance has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.

(C) There is a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug or other substance under medical supervision."

Placement on schedules; findings required

Except.... The findings required for each of the schedules are as follows:

Schedule II.—

(B) The drug or other substance has a currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States or a currently accepted medical use with severe restrictions.

(C) Abuse of the drug or other substances may lead to severe psychological or physical dependence."

Except... . The findings required for each of the schedules are as follows:

Schedule III.—

(A) The drug or other substance has a potential for abuse less than the drugs or other substances in schedules I and II.

(B) The drug or other substance has a currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.

(C) Abuse of the drug or other substance may lead to moderate or low physical dependence or high psychological dependence."

Schedule IV.—

(A) The drug or other substance has a low potential for abuse relative to the drugs or other substances in schedule III.

(C) Abuse of the drug or other substance may lead to limited physical dependence or psychological dependence relative to the drugs or other substances in schedule III."

Schedule V.—

(A) The drug or other substance a low potential for abuse relative to the drugs or other substances in schedule IV.

(C) Abuse of the drug or other substance may lead to limited physical dependence or psychological dependence relative to the drugs or other substances in schedule IV

Now that it is drafted we have to send it through the damn tubes. Its gonna be months before we get anything done, but hell if were gonna declare another damn war it might as well be on what’s destroying our country. War on drugs. That’s kind of catchy.

February 12, 1970

I hate the political processes that we have to go through. It’s been a long two months, and what has been accomplished? Well that damn hippie sympathizer Raymond Shafer from the Shafer commission tried to raise some interesting points to congress. During his presentation he actually said "[T]he criminal law is too harsh a tool to apply to personal possession even in the effort to discourage use. It implies an overwhelming indictment of the behavior which we believe is not appropriate. The actual and potential harm of use of the drug is not great enough to justify intrusion by the criminal law into private behavior, a step which our society takes only 'with the greatest reluctance."

Can you believe that? Do American values mean nothing? Not a Damn thing apparently! We appoint him to find the harms in these drugs and he goes all J.F.K on me. We cannot allow this infection to spread any farther then it already has! This country cant take anymore of these dope heads spreading their pro pot speeches.  

March 12, 1970

Were getting close and closer to getting this law passed. Some things have been called to my attention though. Seeing as the five sections are separated by the amount of harm they do, we seem to have put some more potent drugs at underneath section one. Both morphine and fentanyl are in Schedule II, and heroin is in Schedule I. Fentanyl is approximately 80 times as potent as morphine, and heroin is around three times as potent as morphine. Just a hiccup I suppose. No bill is prefect.

October 27, 1970

Finally this bill has become an act. What a journey it has been. We wrote the damn thing up, sent it to the council, beat the committee, beat the committee again, got two thirds in senate and house, and it then received my signature. Finally we can get some control over the dirty nomads wondering through this country.

Sources

http://www.justice.gov/dea/pubs/csa.html

http://isomerdesign.com/Cdsa/scheduleUS.php?structure=C

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21cfr/cfr/2108cfrt.htm