Landscape in The Road

In Cormac McCarthy’s novel “The Road,” the landscape is a representation of how grey and unforgiving this world is. Everything from the abandoned structures to the beach shows the hopelessness this world has to offer. I cannot paint everywhere but I painted important places that they have been.

Early in their journey, the two explore a city, almost like a skeleton of its former self. Buildings stand hollow and streets are littered with abandoned cars and the ash of what once was. The city, a symbol of human achievement, now lies in ruins, underscoring the extent of the apocalypse. It’s a place where danger is everywhere, forcing the father and son to be exceedingly cautious. Page 24, “The mummied dead everywhere, the flesh cloven along the bones, the ligaments dried to tug and taunt as wires.” This urban wasteland sets the tone for the hopelessness pervading their world, where survival is a constant battle against the remnants of civilization.

Going on to a more rare find on their journey is a hidden bunker filled with supplies. This place is a temporary haven, page 148, “ How long can we stay here papa? Not long. How long is that? I don’t know maybe one more day. Two. Because it’s dangerous? Yes.” The bunker, stocked with food and amenities, offers a brief glimpse of normalcy and safety. However, the Man and boy know they can’t stay because nothing has security in this world.

A particularly horrifying moment occurs when they discover a house where cannibalism takes place. This house, a grotesque perversion of the concept of ‘home’, represents the depths of depravity humanity has sunk to in the face of extinction. It’s a constant reminder of the pervasive threat other humans pose and the brutal measures taken by some to survive. Pg 110, “ Huddled against the back wall were naked people, male and female, all trying to hide, shielding their faces with their hands. On the mattress lay a man with his legs gone to his hip and the stumps of them blackened and burnt. The smell was hideous.”

Throughout their journey, the father and son encounter remnants of what used to be a functioning society—crumbling roads, collapsed bridges, and abandoned vehicles. This decaying infrastructure serves as a metaphor for the collapse of the societal order and the fragility of human constructs.

The beach, their final destination, stands as a contrast to the bleakness they have traveled. Despite its natural beauty, it’s cold, and windy, and offers no salvation. The beach symbolizes the end of their journey and the realization that there is no promised land in this new world. In “The Road,” these places are not just physical locations but are imbued with symbolic meaning. They reflect the hopelessness of a world, where survival is a daily challenge.

Link to document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f_QnsTdMW8usuHuYN-4aAZfAOUneOxKveav-HMuCPwc/edit?usp=sharing

jmurray_image_final
jmurray_image_final