Lobbying Post 2: Education Reform

On November 8th, many people hit the voting booths to elect new local officials. Joining them at many booths around the nation, were lobbyist. In an effort to give a spark to the movement, education reform supporters like Michael Petrill of the Fordham institute visited the polls to try and gain support.

This has been a active year for education reform lobbyist, with the recent rise in charter school funding, discourse in congressional budgeting agreements, and growing concern of America's education race. An example of some of these committees are the 'Democrats for Education Reform" or "Stand For Children", who recently spent over $75,000 each on their respective campaigns. The groups most recently expressed their policies to the Denver School Board earlier this month. Denver teacher's union president Henry Roman expressed concern over the issue, saying "its becoming high stakes" when you have "groups out their that can write checks for tens of thousands of dollars".

On the contrary, there are a number of different political figures on the state level that has expressed urgency regarding education reform. In 2011, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie outlined a new agenda regarding education budgeting and curriculum reform. Other politicians in city councils in cities like New Orleans and Nashville have pushed for large scale reform, but federal acts like No Child Left Behind still linger in the mist of the argument.

Because it is such a wide scale lobbying topic, it is difficult to pinpoint specific officials to reach out to. In my research, there are many examples of politicians that are fighting on both sides of this battle. Locally, State Rep. Ronald G. Waters is a good example of someone who has advocated for the Philadelphia Community is his efforts with the Dream Act , Kensington CAPA school, and the There Ought To Be A Law contest (along with Sen. Anthony Williams). The city council of Philadelphia has recently funneled more money into after-school programs in an effort to keep more students in school. However, it will be interesting to see how this evolves with the recent elections.

p-esea
p-esea
school-reform
school-reform
DREAM03
DREAM03
i-stand-for-children-logo_wdi81169
i-stand-for-children-logo_wdi81169