Lost At Sea

The weekend of my cousins wedding – we were all on the beach, all of my family members, except for the one getting married, of course. She was too busy getting ready for the wedding, but the rest of us were having a good time. Several of us had just finished playing catch with the football and decided to go into the water when one of the cousins pulled out a raft. Not a big raft, but rather one of the flimsy rafts you blow up and relax in the middle of a pool drinking a pina colada. Not that I drink pina coladas or anything, because I’m not 21 – that’s just how these rafts are generally used. This was also a very big raft – big enough for at least two people. And so my cousins thought it would be fun to take that out into the ocean as they paddled myself and my other cousin around. Oh yeah, it’s important to know that this wedding was in Puerto Rico and generally resorts on these tropical islands don’t have lifeguards to protect their customers. They swim at their own risk; however, we were not entirely on our own. There was a row of rocks conveniently placed about 50 yards out so we don’t merely just drift out to sea. Another thing about Puerto Rico you should know is that their beaches are notorious for their powerful undercurrent – a feat most fifth graders know little about. I sure didn’t and apparently neither did my cousins, who were much older, because after getting about half way out, we tried to turn around and despite our best efforts the raft just stayed in it’s place. Actually, It probably drifted even further out. After several minutes of attempting to get our families’ attention back on shore, and then several more minutes to get them to realize we were actually in trouble and not just waving to them. By this time, we had drifted out to those rocks I had mentioned earlier. It was nice to be able to rest, because all of the paddling was extremely strenuous, however, shortly after being perched on the rock, we start to feel a slight discomfort in our feet. After the pain intensified we realized that these weren’t merely just rugged rocks, but rather, each of us had several sea urchins lodged into the soles of our feet. But when you put it in perspective, these rocks were the only things keeping us from roaming out to sea, so that slight discomfort was extremely trivial in the scheme of things. Amid the panic between the four of us and our family members searching for a way to help us get back to shore, I look up to see my mom video taping the entire thing. That’s my mom for you. It’s actually kind of funny now that I think about it, but it wasn’t in the moment. Anyways, while my mom was video taping, my uncle found a wire that I guess was connected to one of the rocks and he was able to maneuver his way out to us and help us get back to shore by holding on to the wire. The next day, my cousin had her beautiful wedding on the beach, with the romantic Puerto Rican sun as her backdrop, and although those pesky urchins were still stuck in our feet, everything just seemed OK.