"Man Down" Bibliography: Gun Violence

1. 

Lane, Roger (1999). Violent Death in the City: Suicide, Accident, and Murder in Nineteenth-Century Philadelphia. Ohio State University Press

This book depicts various forms of crimes in Nineteenth-Century Philadelphia, predominately murder. Roger Lane told the story of violence in philadelphia, backed by thorough comparisons of national statistics. Lane says how the Nineteenth-century murders were significantly lower than those of modern times. Lane uses final records of deceased individuals, sometimes as small as the regards from a state agent, to help reflect the lives they lived before their deaths. This source is kind of reliable due to her direct contact with people who were aware of how the deaths occurred or even family members. This source is slightly unreliable because some people she contacted didn’t know the people from a can of paint. Overall I think this source is good because she cited gun violence as one of the main causes of death besides natural, which is an essential detail in our project. 

2. 

Cook, Philip J., Jens Ludwig (2000). "Chapter 2". Gun Violence: The Real Costs. Oxford University Press

This book outlines the cost Gun Violence costs America annually, while also giving statistics of murder rates. Cook goes in to detail on how much it actually costs to clean and properly treat a gunshot wound, and how it is not only hurting our country’s people, but the economy as well. Cook also says that Philadelphia's percentage of gun violence has risen more than 20% since 1973, proving that Philadelphia’s gun violence is spiraling at a positive rate, but is a negative impact on the city. This source is reliable because he cites direct sources and city officials. He also cites the U.S Census and cross checks different crimes that are committed in Philly to see how many are gun related. 

3. 

Murphy , Ray. "Gun Violence in Philadelphia." Ray Murph'ys Blog. N.p., 10 010 2007. Web. Web. 14 Feb. 2013. <http://youngphillypolitics.com/gun_violence_philadelphia>.

In this blog, author Ray Murphy gives his insight on the continuos murders that were popping up throughout Philadelphia. He comments on how the city might be better overall without guns, and what he thinks could be the main cause of all these murders. He gives quantitative data by stating the amount of gun related murders that were committed that far into 2007 (300), which was not really backed by a source. This source is both reliable, and unreliable. It is reliable because he has some factual data included, but also unreliable because he features a lot of opinionated views. 

4. 

Bohn, Kevin. "Philadelphia: Teen 'afraid every da'y as gun violence soars." CNN [Philadelphia] n.d., n. pag. Print. <http://articles.cnn.com/2007-05-16/us/philly.homicides_1_zip-gun-violence-violent-crime?_s=PM:US>.

This source is an interview of an average Philadelphian teen on gun violence, conducted by CNN. Isaac Diaz is asked numerous questions about gun violence and how he copes with it. CNN also cites that the new record for gun-related murders in a year is 406, which topped the 400 set in 1990. I would count this source as reliable because it comes from CNN. CNN is a nationally credited news broadcasting company, so I assume they have a group of fact checkers backing the work. I also count this source as reliable because the interview is direct, no second hand relays or anything that can taint the words from Diaz’s mouth. 

5. 

Huttonlock, Frank. Interview by Nuri Bracey. Gun Violence in Philadelphia 14 February 2013. February . Print.

This last source was an interview conducted by myself. The interviewee was Frank Huttonlock, a Gun Range Safety Officer located in Philadelphia. The interview was based on three questions; "What do you think is the main cause of gun violence?",

"Which age group commits the most gun related crimes?", and "How can you work to control gun violence?" A response I got was “Media is the main cause of gun violence to me. All these teens see is how they’re favorite artist is waving a gun to get what he wants, and they try to mimic that.” The classic response, and a liable one at that. I think this source is reliable and unreliable at the same time. It is reliable because yet again, it is straight from interviewer to interviewee. It’s unreliable because his answers aren’t factual, but opinionated.