My Memoir

ARTIST STATEMENT LANGUAGE, EVEN MORE THAN COLOR, DEFINES WHO YOU ARE TO PEOPLE. By Trevor Noah In Born a Crime, Trevor experienced racism in South Africa. Like Trevor, I experienced racism at a private, Christian school I attended. After reading about Trevor’s experiences, I was inspired to write about my experience at the start of eighth grade. As a child of mixed parents, Trevor’s existence was illegal because relationships between men and women of different races was a crime. Trevor’s mother, Patricia, took him to church every Sunday. One of the churches was an integrated church. I, too, attend an integrated church. On page 26, Trevor attempts to go outside to play, but his grandmother tells him not to. She is afraid that he might be picked up by the authorities due to his mixed race. At first, Trevor was confused and did not understand why he had to stay inside. Later, he realized the reality of racism and he developed ways to cope with it, such as reading books, playing with toys, and creating imaginary worlds. On page 32, Trevor learns about the importance of prayer. His grandmother says that his prayers are more effective because of his ability to pray in English. Trevor mistakenly believes that Jesus is white and his prayers are meaningful because he prays in English to a white god. Trevor’s belief in a white Jesus affected his identity and self-worth. He believed that white and English speaking was better than black and native speaking. In my memoir, I identified and highlighted three of my identities. First, I am an African American. Second, I am a male. Third, I am a Christian. I see these identities in Trevor as well. I know that Jesus is neither black nor white but Jewish. Also, I showed that racism is real and personal. I experienced it. I am learning how to cope with racism. Most importantly, I am learning how to actively work to get rid of racism. Finally, I would like my reader to know that my old school was not all bad. There were pros and cons. There were Christians that tried to get rid of racism and those who tried to keep it going. I just believe that SLA is a better school for me, and I am glad that I am a part of the SLA community.

Murray_James_Memoir_Final_Draft (1)

Oliver Askin-Terry (Student 2024)
Oliver Askin-Terry

It was really interesting how clearly you were able to take away a moral of your story. It can be harder to find a moral or a lesson in your own story. When I saw that at the end I was impressed.

Jackson Powell (Student 2024)
Jackson Powell

Although Im not really christian or really religious at all, I really liked your artist statement. It really set the stage for your writing. It seemed like you really can connect to Trevor, and thats cool cause I don't really know if I can. It showed these issues in a different light than what I wrote about.

Jackson Powell (Student 2024)
Jackson Powell

Kenneth Payne (Student 2024)
Kenneth Payne

I really liked your artist statement and the ways you worded it and reverted sorta back to some of the experiences that Trevor experienced. Also, I went to a private Quaker school throughout elementary school and was whitewashed and experienced that sort of racism so I can too relate.