My reflection

This project relates to the real world in many ways. There are many calculations that we just take for granted when they were done by real people. There are people who work for google maps who have to make calculations like the ones we did every day. Another way that those techniques are used is to build buildings. Architects usually have a drawing of their building then scale it to have the measurements right. They kind of do the opposite of what we did. It’s a privilege that we know how to use techniques such as the stick method and mirror method now since we never know what we might end up doing in the future.​

The most exciting portion of this project was figuring out the height of my building. It’s because I think architecture is cool and since I could not measure it, I had to figure it out using the methods we learned. I think it was kind of exciting doing something like this, it will come in handy eventually. I think that the least exciting part of the project was the fact that I got many different results for my building height. It’s because I got two almost completely different results from my two calculations and I was confused. That confusion kind of took the excitement away.

I learned many things after completing this project. I learned about different ways that we can determine a building height. I learned about the mirror method and the stick method. I also learned about how we can verify that we got right answers from our calculations. I learned about the picture method and google earth. I learned that you can  look at a building on google earth and the mouth cursor will tell you the elevation and eye altitude. I also learned that the height of the building is the elevation minus the eye altitude. I learned to respect all the buildings I see and all the jobs related to math because of the hard work they do. I learned to not take anything for granted in the world like for example google maps.

2013-03-21 09.16.45
2013-03-21 09.16.45