2014 National Day on Writing

There are many misconceptions about Philadelphia; we’re loud, we’re obnoxious, we’re rude. The fact of the matter is we’re not. We’re not at all. To be completely honest, Philadelphians are the nicest, most caring group of people I have ever come across. Sometimes we care too much and that can come across as being rude, like our crazy sports games. 
Take last week’s Eagles game for example. The passionate screaming from the crowd was deafening, and the insults rained down on the Giants the entire game until Victor Cruz, a wide receiver from the Giants had a season-ending injury take place. The crowd fell silent and sent kind words towards Cruz as he was driven off the field. Sure, we can be brutal with our insults, but it’s only because we care so much about our teams. We know when enough is enough. We genuinely care about other people, even if they are a star wide receiver that plays for one of our most hated rivals. Even watching old videos gets us riled up, like the Flyer’s game 7 comeback against the Bruins (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrlzDiZEfFY), or the Eagles fourth quarter rally against the Giants (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slAx291z1hM).

Philadelphians are also more generous than most people would ever imagine. Behind those hard, almost mean expressions that you see everyone wearing, is a kind heart that will gladly help in a time of need. My neighbor, who I’ve never spoken to up until last week, came to our house and gifted us a hot pot of gravy (tomato sauce for non-South Philadelphians) and meatballs. Even complete strangers will exchange a friendly “Hi, how are ya?” as you pass them. The smallest gestures like those are appreciated and brighten my day all the time.

New Years in New York has nothing on New Years in Philadelphia. The dancing and singing and overall feeling of togetherness cannot be compared to anywhere else in the world. You will never be alone on New Years. Everyone is your friend. The Mummers, a group of people that dress up in extravagant costumes and dance, are a core part of what makes our city unique. They bring joy to everyone in the city, and my words definitely don’t do them justice. You have to see for yourself or you can never understand the Mummers (here’s a link! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRs12A86ZAI). I’ve been a Mummer for seven years and I’m still not sure I understand. All I know is I love bringing joy to the people of Philadelphia, and it brings everyone together. It gives a new meaning to “City of Brotherly Love.”

Living in this city is exciting, and great, and wonderful, and I’m going to end this sentence now because I can literally go on forever about how amazing my city is. The city itself has so much to offer if you know where to look. I haven’t been anywhere that has come close to replicating what a Philly cheesesteak actually tastes like. We’re different and unique. We say things differently and make up new words altogether. Some people think it’s weird and make fun of our accents, but for me I take pride in the way I saw “cawfee” or the way I call tomato sauce “gravy”.

This is my corner of the world. This city made me who I am, and that’s something I take pride in. I can say with my head held high, “I’m from Philadelphia. I say things weird, I eat too many cheesesteaks, I’m too passionate about sports, and I’m damn proud of it.”

#writemycommunity
south-philly-vikings-americas-got-talent
Eagles-Fans
Eagles-Fans