Negative Space Drawing

photo (1)
photo (1)
photo (2)
photo (2)
  • A. What is negative space (explain this concept to a fourth grader that has never heard of it)
Negative space is the space in a drawing for which is known as the empty space around a specific message that the author chose to show.

• B. Explain how you found negative space in 1. your cut out?, 2. in your stool drawing?
I found the negative space in the first drawing (cut out) by placing the stuff that I knew had to be there. When I say that, I mean that I placed a mirror image for both sides of the drawing. I decided what was missing to complete the image completely and from there found my negative space. For the second drawing (stool) I found my negative space by seeing all the space surrounding the stool, the empty space. 
  • C. Why does it help an artist to see in negative space?
It helps an artist to see in negative space because, there is some sort of story clearly in any photo. Sure not all the space is completed by the drawing, but this makes it more real. This allows the viewer to find the complete photo in real life but on paper. It's extraordinary for the viewer and exactly what the artist would want. 
  • D. How is negative space useful in creating art?
Negative space is useful when creating art because it allows the full model of the photo to be shown to the viewer. It allows the viewer to live in that moment, to find their complete story through one small drawing.