Negative Space Drawing and Cut Out Picture

still life art
still life art
cut out art
cut out art
Negative space is everything in a picture besides the main focus. This helps define the subject of a picture and draws in your eye to see the subject clearly.

I found negative space in my cut out picture and in my stool drawing by looking through the subject. For the cut out piece I focused on making the complete picture by seeing what was around the subject and not all of the details inside of it. I actually used the opposite technique in my stool drawing. I drew all of the details, also known as positive space, and then erased them as the negative space around it started to appear.  

It helps an artist to see in negative space so that it is easier to draw or paint a subject. When they can see and recognize negative space, they can sketch everything around it so that then they have an outline. From there the artist can easily focus on details inside of the outline and finish the piece.

Negative space is useful in creating art because it allows you to see what you are creating in a new light and different perspective. For example in my stool and table drawing, when I first started drawing I drew every detail. Then as I began to erase the positive space, I saw everything morphed together to form one cohesive picture. It is really interesting to first see a picture one way, and realize it can be something completely different. Negative space has the ability to draw in someone's eye to a picture and make them really see what is there.