Neon Print

This is my homemade print about the element neon. First of all, I'm going to talk about neon, the tenth element of the periodic table. Neon is the second noble gas on the periodic table and was discovered in London in 1898. The name neon comes from the Greek word, neos, meaning "new". This is why I made my print of a laurel with neon's sign in Greek letters, representing the Greek background of neon's name.

Now I will go through the process for making this print. First, I researched the background of neon, and chose to do a laurel for my print. Then I drew my idea, among other ones, and chose the best. I then transferred my design onto tracing paper, and then to a foam plate. When I put the design onto the foam plate, I had to do the design backwards so that the print would come out with the letters the right way. Next class, we rolled the ink onto our plates and transferred the design onto paper by putting the paper on top of the plate with ink, and pressed down on it with a spoon, smoothing it out. Finally, I made a perfect 6"x8" square and put my final design in the middle, with an inch of room on each side.