Prostitutes are people too: op-ed

Prostitution goes on throughout the world. In some cultures and countries it is considered to be okay, however in the majority of the United States it is considered to be “not okay” and there for is illegal. It is still done however; it is done because people need jobs and if a person is really that in need of a job they will go to the lengths of selling themselves for sex in order to live. I don’t feel as though this should be kept from a person when it could be the only way they can survive.

Cigarettes are a suicidal tool, nothing different then a razor against your skin. Yet, currently in the United States there are 3.4 million high school students smoking their lives away. Cigarette smoking and exposure to secondhand smoke result in approximately 443,000 premature deaths per year. This is something that is killing millions of people and yet it is legal? Why? Because the amount of taxes that the country gets off of tobacco is overwhelming. The state with the highest tax on cigarettes is New York. As of 2009 it was 4.35 dollars. Mix that with all the smokers and you have an immense amount of money. The total annual public and private health care expenditures caused by smoking is 96 billion dollars. That is insane. Cigarettes are a hole in wallets and lungs. Yet prostitution that doesn’t cause any harm is illegal. 

Alcohol is another razor to the skin. It is an infestation of the liver and has caused a ton of deaths over the years. On October 5th 2010 the state representative, Brad Bennet, from Delaware was charged for a DUI. This means that he was driving while drunk. A state representative drinking you might ask? Yes, it has not been the first incident like this. People of the law drink, and they drink because it is something they want to do. Brad went on to say, “ The past few months have been very trying for both me and my family dealing with personal issues.” I guess because he is having some problems with his family that everything is just okay. However in a case where Gordon Hintz, a Democrat, paid a $2,032.50 fine because he went to a massage parlor offering prostitution. He wasn’t even accused of using the service yet he got the fine.

Gay marriages have been a huge controversy for years. It is against religions and there for religion is running the government. The government is not allowing to have gays to marry because of “God’s rules.” People that are gay do not cause any harm to people. They do not cause problems and being in a marriage with someone of the same sex does not cause any disturbances. I was once told that a marriage should be between two people that love each other and that will do anything for each other. People who find love in the same sex are not wrong. They have just found something that has made them complete. Something that is hard to come by and taking that away from them because of a religion is absurd. Prostitution is also against religions for having sex before marriage would make you a whore.

Prostitution is illegal because; you can’t tax it, want triumphs over need, there for the people running the government don’t want it, and finally religious aspects. These things run the government and make something that causes no harm to be illegal.