Q4 BM

Link to slide show: http://photopeach.com/album/exyo1s

1.      Liberty Bell
According to the National Park Service website; in the 1800s, the liberty bell traveled around the country to expositions and fairs to help heal the divisions of the civil war. It reminded Americans of their earlier days when they fought and worked together for independence. It represents how we got our independence and therefore the influence of the colonies from Britain.

2.      Council of Spanish Speaking Organizations 
the Council of Spanish Speaking Organizations is the leader for Latino services. Their mission is to ensure equality that equitable social, educational, cultural service and programs are made available to the Philadelphia community.  They are also the ones that organize the Puerto Rican Festival. They get involved in the needs of the Latino community.

3.      Save the date 

He predicted judgment days on May 21 2011 and his prediction went all over the world causing a tremendous fear in different countries. Its amazing how this particular person could convince millions of people that the end of the world was on may 21 (2011) Christianity is the dominant religion in the city of Philadelphia and that’s probably why we believed him.

4.      Puerto Rico Parade

The parade most of the time begins at 12 noon at 16th street and john F. Kennedy Boulevard. The entire Latino community gathers this day to celebrate Latino/Puerto Rican culture. Over the past of the years, Latino population has increase in Philadelphia and this is shown every year at the Puerto Rican parade with more than 5,000 people in attendance.

5.      Science Leadership Academy
This school is able to cross distance boundaries to get a better understanding of education. Educon hosted by the Science Leadership Academy in Philly is a both a conference and a conversation about the future of school.  Educon is a great way of bringing people from  all over to gather together and talk about the future of school. 

6.      Tierras Colombianas
this restaurant is bring the best of the Latino gastronomy together. Here you will be able to find the most delightful Latino/Caribbean dishes. It also has a wonderful selection of quality domestic and international wines. This restaurant brings a little bit of the Latino food to Philly.

7.      American Jewish 
American Jewish is a museum that was recently open in Philadelphia.  The mission of this museum is to tell the stories of the Jewish and show some of the artifacts that they gathered. The American Jewish history was and will always be a big part of the American culture.

8.      Mural-ethnicities : Credit: ©2005 City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program/Eliseo Silva, Photo © JackRamsdale.com

Many different ethnicities background can be found at Spruance and that’s why the school requested a mural about the theme of immigration. This mural represents the different type of background that can be found at not only this school in particular, but instead the entire city of Philadelphia. According to metropolitan policy program, metropolitan Philadelphia has the largest and fastest growing immigrant population, which in 2008 was standing at over 500,000 comprising 9 percent of the total population.

9.      Cleopatra 
the exhibit of Cleopatra features artifacts, and takes visitors inside the present-day search for Cleopatra, which extends from the sands of Egypt to the depths of the Bay of Aboukir near Alexandria. Through Cleopatra we will be able to comprehend and analyze an entire different culture and draw our conclusions about the wise decisions and the thoughts that possibly crossed Cleopatra’s mind at some point.

10.  Circle of hands 
the diverse yet converging hands symbolize the community's commitment to ending racial division. This mural was created after racial violence in the Gray's Ferry neighborhood. This mural represents the great amount of diversity backgrounds that can be found in the city of Philadelphia.

Citations :

"Coming to America and Making it Stronger, by Eliseo Silva, at the Gilbert Spruance School, 6401 Horrocks Street, Philadelphia, Pa.."explorepahistory. WITF, Inc, 2010. Web. 1 Jun 2011.

Singer, Audrey, Domenic Vitiello, Michael Katz, and David Park. " Recent Immigration to Philadelphi."Metropolitan policy program . Print.

Cortes, Eric. "Sunday: The 47th Annual Puerto Rican Day Parade." uwishunu (2009): n. pag. Web. 1 Jun 2011.

"National Park Service U.S. department of the interior ." Liberty Bell Center. N.p., May 09 2011. Web. 1 Jun 2011

"Tierras Colombianas ." Welcome to our restaurant . N.p., 2011. Web. 1 Jun 2011.

"The Council of Spanish Speaking Organizations."Programs. The Council of Spanish Speaking Organizations, Inc, 2011. Web. 1 Jun 2011.

"The franklin Institute." Cleopatra. N.p., 2011. Web. 1 Jun 2011.

"National Museum of American Jewish history ."education and programs . nmajh.org, n.d. Web. 1 Jun 2011.

"Wikipedia." Demographics of Philadelphia. nmajh.org, 08 May 2011. Web. 1 Jun 2011.

"Taking It Outside: Philadelphia’s Murals." Peace Wall by Peter Pagast & Jane Golden. N.p., 11 Mar 2010. Web. 1 Jun 2011.

reflection:
Every single aspect of this project was challenging. It was hard to connect and explain why a picture represents globalization in Philadelphia. It was difficult to find pictures that were appropriate for this project. It was challenging overall. 

One of the things that I was scare of was to not be able to find/collect enough images and it was became reality. I didn’t have enough images and if I had images I couldn’t see the connection between that particular image and globalization in Philadelphia
image # 6 is my favorite one. It’s a picture of a Latino restaurant, in my opinion one of the best restaurants for Latino food.  This is my favorite image because the restaurant represents and reflects the increase of the Latino community in Philadelphia. Before, there weren’t as many Latinos in Philadelphia as there is now, and it reflects in the growth of this restaurant. When they first started it was a small restaurant with a couple of tables, now they have three “Tierras Colombianas” around the city.