3rd Blog Post

Currently, this has not been a good year for my legislature seeing, as though there have been thousands of budgets cuts all throughout the School District of Philadelphia. Numerous teachers have lost their jobs, several programs have been cut, and many quintessential pieces of education have been lost this year. Many of the elected leaders actually support what I am lobbying; the only issue is a lack of proper funding. In the past, elected officials haven’t been conscientious of their spending, which is why we are feeling the repercussions now. Mainly, my opponents are those who represent districts where funding is plentiful and can afford to spend money wherever they see fit. Currently, officials are getting rid of things that aren’t one hundred percent essential to the growth of the district.

In my opinion, I would need to gain the support of state representative Ronald Waters and the superintendent of the School District of Philadelphia. With these two individuals supporting me, they most likely will have a large enough say over how money is spent throughout the district that it will have a meaningful impact or even change how the legislature is viewed by those it affects.

http://whyy.org/cms/radiotimes/2011/08/23/the-departure-of-philadelphia-school-superintendent-arlene-ackerman/

I don’t know anyone personally that is lobbying the same topic as I am, but my plan is to travel down to the school district building and see who has the most influence in lobbying the same thing as I am. In my opinion, seeing as though I am only seventeen people may not take me seriously when I first bring my idea to someone’s attention. But as I continue to explain and show my knowledge of this topic, I think I can get the attention of those who attend meetings to discuss what are the negative and positive things pertaining to the well being of the district. I think I can have some meaningful progress towards my overall goal by the beginning of the next fall term for students.

M4963b1f00b9c5
M4963b1f00b9c5