Room For Debate: Patriot Act

The USA Patriot Act is the gateway to a medley of possibilities. It secures our citizens with a safe future whilst slicing down the baddies, and only the baddies, down to size. This law gives the government the opportunity to hand out a ticket of justice to those who are harmful to the nation and allows the many intelligence agencies to move freely throughout the country in their effort to clean up the nation.

If only it were that peachy.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, the regulation permits tons of leeway, giving government agents the opportunity to delve deep into the personal and private information of visitors and Americans alike, provided that they are suspicious. After gathering up some potential evidence and presenting it to a judge, bank records, wire tappings, library history are up for grabs as means to finding out just what have people been doing with their time. Treating people like criminals in secret when they have not necessarily done anything yet seems a tad overbearing.

However, it is not realistic to just be rid of the whole entity altogether. The whole reason for this enactment being put into place for the security of American people. The once bill received an overwhelming approval in 2001 because the Representatives, the Senate and so on believed that it could prevent from such devastating attacks again. That the was the plan was to play it smart, to be shielded, to protect what we still had.

All the while, though, breaching beyond the boundaries of trust and text messages to catch a glimpse of a disaster in the making might equally be on the menu. Either way, something of paramount significance is lost. The government is trying to save America from itself. The only question that remains is how will they will go.

The act is good at heart but, goes about tackling the terrorists in the wrong manner. So the verdict of the course our America should take is beyond this clueless teenager, in all honestly.

​Annisa Ahmed
B Band
9.18.12