Science/Society Food Benchmark

Marquis Simmons

Homemade Toaster Pastries

INGREDIENTS

2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks or 8 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into pats
1 large egg
2 tablespoons (1 ounce) milk

Strawberry jam
Fresh strawberries, chopped
½ a vanilla bean, split and scraped

Vanilla icing/frosting for the top of the pastries.

RECIPE

Pie dough mixed with sugar, flour and salt can be used for the outside of the pastry. The first step is to separate two sheets, one for the top and the other for the bottom of the pastry. Put the dough in the oven for a little while to allow them to harden some, so about 5-10 minutes is good. After it has its form, it is ready for the filling. Smear it evenly, but also make sure it's thick enough to be tasted. Once the filling is put onto the bottom, put the top on it. Push it down so that the filling is on both sides and begin smearing icing on the top of the top piece. Sprinkles are optional, but if they are added, make sure they are pushed into the icing. Place in oven for 15 minutes. Remove, let cool and enjoy. (I'm guessing this is how it'd be made)

Personal Reflection

My main role in the larger food system is a consumer, since I spend my money on food all of the time. This unit we learned about a lot of food related problems, some of which I already knew and many I didn't even know existed. I think the problems that stood out to me the most were the ones we saw in the Food, Inc. movie. When it comes to me personally, some food choice changes I can make would be eating less fast food. I eat fast food at least twice a week because its cheap, easy to get and made quickly. If I could do this, I'd probably be healthier because this would mean that I'd have to eat more home-cooked meals. Even though it'd have a good impact on me, I think I'd only give up fast food for a week before I'd be back at the counter ordering. It's hard to let it go.

Food Rules Slide