Texture, 8.5x11”each (3)

​Below are the texture pieces that I have drawn. I focused on the texture of scales, water, and hair.

Scales:
This was my favorite piece to draw because I found a beautiful snake to draw and shade. I love the coil of the body and how the body and head of the snake fit together. When focusing on scales, I've realized that it takes a lot of time and patience. This piece took me three days to complete. 
My favorite tool was my finger so I could shade in the scales and make them look connected to the body. My favorite material to use was a dull pencil so I could get the right amount of shading and thickness in between the scales. The best thing about my piece was the body of the snake. The hardest thing to do was draw the scales and have them evenly portioned out. I know when a piece has turned out really well when I can step back and take a sigh of relief. 
When looking at my piece, I see that there weren't really any specific patterns. The scales were just mix matched and connected together. The scales were all a rounded edge shape. In the picture, the lighting is what the snake is looking at. One thing that I would do differently is draw the scales evenly. When I work scales, I am reminded that they have to be consistent. I begin a piece by drawing the bodyWhen people see my work, I'd like them to see the snake and the time I put into the piece.

Water:
The next piece I drew was my water piece. My favorite tool was again, my fingers because I felt that shading was an important factor when drawing the water. This is because of where my light reflected and how it would look in real life. The best thing about my drawing was the reflection off the water. The worst thing was probably my swan because it didn't look realistic.
In all I felt that I piece turned out better than I thought because I have never drew water in detailed and didn't know what my outcome would be. When drawing, I factor in the light and the flow of the water., I felt like tose two things would be most important when drawing water realistically. One thing I would do differently is draw the water differently.
When I work with water, I am reminded that it is challenging to draw. I begin a piece by drawing my swan and the setting. I know a piece is done when I can see the reflections in the water. When my work is going well, I am filled with a sense of relief. When people see my work, I'd like them to see the amount of time and effort I put into the piece.

Hair:
I didn't really grasp the concept of drawing hair so I spent half of the first class we had googling hair and then I realized that there were four things to focus on: the flow of the hair, the head, lighting, and the shading.
My favorite tool to use while drawing this piece was my thin pointed pencil to represent each strand of hair. I think I did a good job with the shading and the face of the girl. I feel as if I could've blended in her hair better. When it comes to the texture part of the drawing, I feel as if I did her hair justice! My favorite things to shade with was with a dampened clothe and my finger. 
When I work with hair, I am reminded that it is looked at by strand by strand. I begin a piece by drawing the head of the person. I know a piece is done when I can step back and see where the light is coming from and each strand of hair. When my work is going well, I am filled with a sense of relief. When people see my work, I'd like them to see the strands and shading of hair I drew. 

photo (79)
photo (79)
photo (78)
photo (78)
photo (83)
photo (83)