The Hope of Female Friendships

The relationships between women in Gilead are complex and have layers. We see how these women interact with each other and how they perceive each other through Offred’s perspective. The complexity of these relationships is a product of how Gilead society views women. In a world where they pick and choose the value of each woman based on their title and fertility, friendship has become a luxury and a form of rebellion. We can see different versions of this in Offred’s relationships with Serena Joy, Ofglen, and Moira.

When we take a look at Serena Joy and Offred’s relationship, it’s clear that society has set them up to dislike each other and their resentment towards each other stems from jealousy. Even though Gilead claims that they are one through the Ceremony, they are two women being forced into an arrangement that neither woman would choose to be in. For Serena, a younger and youthful woman is having sex with her husband right in front of her, and for Offred, Serena is a woman who is living the comfortable life as a Wife that she doesn’t get to live. Offred initially liked Serena Joy. “I was disappointed. I wanted then, to turn her into an older sister, a motherly figure, someone who would understand and protect me.” (pg.16) We see that Offred craves that female friendship from Serena Joy and she held onto the hope that Serena would’ve been different if they met outside their circumstances. Offred’s hate for Serena grows the more she lives in the regime of Gilead, therefore having that initial hope diminished.

Ofglen is a handmaid Offred is paired with when going to the market. At first, Offred was very critical of her and clearly did not trust her. She looked down on her in many ways and always thought of her in a negative light. Friendship in Gilead society is restricted and almost non-existent because everyone is anxious about who they can trust. They had to speak in very restricted ways that caused them both to perceive each other as a true believer. Once they both look each other in the eye, they both realize that they are non-believers. “‘I thought you were a true believer,’ Ofglen says. ‘I thought you were,’ I say. ‘You were always so stinking pious.’ ‘So were you,’ I reply. I want to laugh, shout, hug her. ‘You can join us,’ she says.” (pg.168) Once they don’t follow the rules of Gilead, we see another glimpse of connection when Offred states that she wants to hug Ofglen. Offred is invited to be a part of something bigger than herself and is offered a new friendship that is exciting and hopeful. These friendships have formed groups of unbelievers that push back against the ideologies of Gilead and break through the walls men in power have put up to isolate the handmaids.

Lastly, Moira is Offred’s oldest friend from “Before”. They are like sisters and they understand each other on a deeper level. Moira to Offred is someone she looks up to and values because unlike Offred, Moira makes bold choices and refuses to follow the rules. She managed to escape from the Training Center and where she ended up was both a mystery and something the handmaids had faith in. When Offred finally meets Moira again, it was during a night out with the Commander. “‘It’s all right,’ she says, to me and to the other women. ‘I know her.’ The others smile now, and Moira hugs me. My arms go around her, the wires popping up her breasts dig into my chest. We kiss each other, on the cheek, then on the other. Then we stand back. ‘Godawful,’ she says. She grins at me. ‘You look like the Whore of Babylon.’ ‘Isn’t that what I’m supposed to look like?’ I say. ‘You something the cat dragged in.’” (pg.242) Offred and Moira have these gleeful moments that almost feel normal and find joy in each other in the midst of this oppressive society. These moments make everything seem better, showing how female friendships are a source of strength during an oppressive time. This shows how much these women need each other in their lives to relate to, talk to, and laugh with. They find connection in a world that wants women to be as disconnected as possible. Old, new, and possible friendships represent hope in dark times and keeping these friendships alive is one of the biggest forms of rebellion.