The Real Me

I am suppressed. The real me. The me that hops up and down and waves my arms and pumps my fist and calls it dancing. The real me that cranks the music up to the point where my thoughts are just backdrop sounds that hop to the beat of the music as well. The me that believes music is life. That creativity is life. The me that used to believe that every writer should have a tattered leather bond journal that has the word “journal” in cursive on the front. It says I am mysterious, and well, I’m a writer. The me that usually hesitates to turn the corner in the case that I bump someone so hard that we nearly fall to the ground and my cool facade will be broken and I’ll be humiliated for life. The me that observes my friends and actually wonder if we’ll grow old together and still find that Spongebob and Patrick are funny even in our mid-eighties. I am suppressed because no one told me that it was okay to be myself. I don’t mean the sappy children shows that’s about Suzy finally gaining friends because she got the courage to ask to play blocks with the other children and that act alone defines her “individuality” as a child. No. No one has ever told me that it’s okay to not actually know how to dance like the video girls or the celebrities that dance in super exclusive VIP darkrooms in mega-VIP clubs in the heart of Hollywood or New York City. No one has ever told me that is okay not to have long flowy hair that permanently smells like strawberries and champagne. No one ever told me that it’s okay to not actually enjoy taste of beer and cigarettes at huge party that you don’t really feel comfortable in. If I had have known that it was okay to be the ordinary girl who knows how to just be herself, who is not really a party girl, who has an unrealistic dream to be a real writer with a real career, the girl who reads 20 books within a month and somehow manages to have some sort of social life; If would have known this, I would have found out who the real Onjelique was a long time ago. However, in retrospect, it’s better late than never.