The Woman Warrior

The Woman Warrior

Written By Maxine Hong Kingston

Retold By Arthurline Bowen

“No Name Woman”

Chapter 1 (First page)

Maxine is a girl who has just reached puberty. Her mother sat her down to tell her about a very important story that most not repeats itself. Her mother tells her that it is a warning so that she too isn’t forgotten. What do you mean mom why would I be forgotten Maxine asked her mother. You’ll find out after I tell you the story. And her mom went on talking, this story is about your "No Name Aunt" her mother said. What my “No Name Aunt"? Was that her name Maxine asked, my Aunt name is no name? I don’t understand I’ve never heard about her before. Exactly her mother replied it’s because she has been forgotten. Why was she forgotten Maxine asked with curiosity. Her mother began to speak and than she stopped and said, this is a secret and must not be told to anyone else. Why are you talking about mom you are scaring me. This story is about premarital sex.

What? Just listen the no name aunt was your father's sister who committed suicide by jumping into the family well. Because of her forbidden behavior she was forgotten and the family acts as though she had never been born. What did she do so wrong to cause her to be forgotten by her own family Maxine asked, she had premarital sex. What exactly happen? That’s all you need to know her mother responded. Remember never to do something that is forbidden so that you too won’t be forgotten. Also remember, you must not tell anyone what I have told you her mother said as she walked away. Leaving Maxine with a lot of unanswered questions.