What If Project: DDT

For our fourth quarter benchmark for English and History, we each chose a decision – mundane, famous, or anything in between – from all of American history. We researched that decision, finding at least three primary source documents from just before the decision point. We then figured out a plausible way to change that decision. We followed the effects of the change through history, making up three events and describing an alternate 2011. For each of our three events, we fabricated two primary source documents. We chose a method for telling the whole story, and put it all together into a final product. I looked at the decision to ban DDT, and made a fake class project from the alternate 2011.

Although I originally had a lot of trouble finding my decision point, I ended up enjoying this project a lot. I researched the government decision to ban the chemical pesticide DDT – and other pesticides. I was fascinated to find that one book, Rachel Carson's Silent Spring, started a huge movement against pesticides. Carson succeeded in publishing a book that truly spoke to the public. The Chemical Industries, of course, fought back hard against Carson's message. They were not as adept at squashing opposition then (in the 60s) as they are now. In my alternate history, the Chemical Industries decided to bribe a few key figures, and managed to keep Carson's book from getting any publicity. I loved researching the whole thing – it really seemed like one person, Rachel Carson, had made a huge difference in the course of the world. She was a biologist and writer, and that fortunate combination allowed her to write a convincing, beautiful, and readable book about the effects of the toxic pesticides on the environment and on human health. With that single action, she was able to, indirectly, pass a law through Congress.

My favorite part of the actual creating of the project was definitely fabricating primary source documents. I felt so cool, like some kind of all-powerful, primary-source-creating being. I like formatting everything, too. I found specific examples of various types of primary source documents and then made my own versions look as accurate as possible. I definitely also had fun with my invention of a history project, although I think that I could probably improve the actual writing on the pages. I didn't spend as much time on creating the website as I did on creating my primary source documents. I also wish I'd been able to make my cartoon more readable, but I think that it's clear enough to make its point. One of the things I'm most proud of in this project is how well I managed my time. Although I was stressed out and a bit behind at the beginning of the project because of my trouble choosing a topic, I worked diligently during the first week of the assignment and was able to relax during the second week.

Take a look at my project!

-- Luna Sofia Frank-Fischer