Would you give money to a hobo?

Would you give money to a hobo?

In this project I will be focusing on the issue of Homelessness. I’ve experienced being asked for help by homeless people in the streets of philly multiple times. As a kid my mother always told me to not give money to homeless unless that you see that their are really in need of money. As i started to grow up I starting to form own opinions and control my own actions. Im interested in this topic because I believe not all homeless are bad and everyone deserves a big push to start a new life.There has been an enormous amount of people that are homeless in the country of The United States. Main factors why most people are homeless is because of economic problems such as low incomes and lack of afordtable housing. Knowing that, I hope I could see people who are in somewhat good conditions wealthwise, helping the homeless get back on their feet.

This issue has been around for years. Its a problem today because according to the adamplimton website it shows that over 133,000 people sleep on the streets or in a shelter on any given night. January 2014, on any given night there was at least 578,424 experiencing homelessness in the U.S. Knowing this gives me the motivation to help out the homeless. I also find it very interesting how 23% of the 3.5 million who are homeless each year are U.S Military Veterans. Serving the military and then coming back home to find yourself homeless is devastating. Although the rate has been decreasing. In addition, 25% of the 3.5 million homeless each year are children under the age of 18 years. Imagine trying to survive in this world homeless. As humans we take advantage of what we got. Imagine on a 20 degree cold day outside and you finally coming home to some warm comfort. Think of the homeless who are outside suffering and have no hope of heat. Also i feel like homeless people are shunned by people. I feel like everyones thought of a homeless person is a older man, over grown beard, smelly and is a drug/alcohol addict.Known as a stereotypical hobo. Thats a bad stereotype to have in so many ways. Anyone can become  homeless. Bee talks about this in a video about the homeless.

Im wondering what kind of stereotypes other people have againist the homeless. Im also wondering if they know what kind of people are homeless and how would they react. I also wonder reason why people decided not to give a homeless person money. I also would find it interesting to try asking the homeless people some questions also.

Homelessness.jpg

Homeless person sleeping on the streets.

http://www.adamplimpton.com/homelessness/

Screenshot 2015-04-24 at 8.46.48 PM.png

Data on homeless people sheltered and unsheltered in 2014

https://projecthome.org/how-to-help/advocate/facts-homelessness

Annotated bibliography

Quran Riddick (Student 2018)
Quran Riddick

This topic is very compelling to me. The information was well thought out and this topic is relevant. One quote that stood out to me was ¨Main factors why most people are homeless is because of economic problems such as low incomes and lack of affordable housing. And also, ¨I feel like everyone thought of a homeless person is a older man, over grown beard, smelly and is a drug/alcohol addict.¨ This last quote I totally agree with. It seems to be more common to see a elderly man or a young drug user asking others for money. In future posts, I am looking forward to either your survey, interview, and field observation.