A Baseball Story

My high school baseball team had never experienced much success, to say the least. In fact, up until last year, the team had disbanded because there had not been significant enough interest to drum together a team of dedicated individuals. However, last year we were able to assemble a team of novice players – most of them seniors – that would be able to lead the team to their first winning season. Shortly after preseason started, it was determined that the team needed a captain; somebody the team could lean to for direction, if the coach ever needed assistance. Since the seniors on the team were the most athletically superior, and possessed the natural senior swagger that usually demanded the respect of the younger students, one of them would make the best captain.

However, that senior swagger is usually aligned with lackadaisical attitudes and pure entitlement – some might call it “senioritis”— and it was that attitude that dismissed most seniors from attending mandatory practices and team workouts. That, and the fact that most of the seniors lacked the knowledge of the basic fundamentals of the game, and had never played baseball for an organized team, generally didn’t make them suitable captains.

That’s where I came in. Although I didn’t have the title as team captain, I had played baseball since I was six and I was eager to help lead my team to the success that I knew we were capable of. I was often put in charge of team workouts and spent most of my time instructing the less experienced players on the precise technique for fielding baseballs and getting more power behind their swings. We didn’t start truly playing together as a team until the end of the season, and although the team ended 4-6, a disappointing record by anyone’s standards, we showed improvement from the previous years, and I’m excited for next season.

This is sort of proof that you don’t have to have a title to make a difference. True leaders can inspire people to perform to their potential by simply putting forth their best effort, and leading by example. I was an effective leader because I never assumed I was better than any of them. Unlike my senior counterparts, I never thought I was too good for practice, and once I was able to gain their respect, I noticed a much more responsive attitude from most of the kids, that allowed us to play together as a team.