Adlynn Gonzalez Capstone

For my capstone, I wanted to learn more about music than I already had. I’ve been involved with music since I was 7, and have always been trying to immerse myself in it. What I originally wanted to do for my capstone was to be an intern at a recording studio. After learning I had to be 18 to become an intern, I waited before kickstarting my capstone. Once I turned 18, all the good internship spots were gone. So I had to create a new capstone.

Over the summer, I was an intern at this organization called AMLA (a place where my brother takes lessons). I always wondered what it would be like to be a teacher, which made me realize that my new capstone should be about me teaching music. I have been taking vocal lessons for quite some time, which made me feel like I could be of some assistance to AMLA. I also became a student at AMLA just to get the best of both worlds. I ended up helping their vocal teacher in her classes. I interacted with the students and tried to find ways to build their confidence while singing. One person I ended up teaching was my brother. I have been helping him prepare a song for AMLA’s summer recital. 

The last part of my capstone was taking a group of middle schoolers to a recording studio, and taking what I’ve learned from AMLA to help them in the recording studio. We spent 6+ hours creating 3 songs using original content created by the students. Overall, it was an amazing learning experience. I documented every part of my capstone in a blog (which goes in depth about teaching at AMLA and the recording studio).

musiccapstoneblog.wordpress.com

Screenshot 2017-05-18 at 9.55.08 PM
Screenshot 2017-05-18 at 9.55.08 PM
Bibliography:
https://docs.google.com/a/scienceleadership.org/document/d/1FQi-fsAGy-tIx4cvJVFRv44uWYo8jdhj8dPYWhEIu08/edit?usp=sharing