Advanced Essay #1: Pittsburgh Vacation

Introduction: My goal of the paper is to write more than I usually do, the part that I am proud of is the third paragraph, the areas for improvement in the future is the reflection.

Pittsburgh Vacation

This past  summer, I went on a trip to Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is also a city in the state of pennsylvania located just west of Philadelphia.This trip was a summer camp which focused on giving the campers an introduction to civil engineering as I have an interest in this area. 

I received the information about this camp from my ILP program. After finding out more information about the camp and the program, I told my mother about my interest in this program and how I wanted to participate. My mom was very happy that I wanted to join the summer camp in Pittsburgh because she wanted to go to Pittsburgh for a long time.  My brother was also interested in the program too. After speaking to her, she gave her permission for me to register for the camp. We decided we would go to Pittsburgh together. My big brother would go with us as well.

The camp that I joined in Pittsburgh was about a famous architectural building called “Fallingwater”. Fallingwater is a house that was designed in 1935 by an architect named Frank Lloyd Wright. It was designed in the modern and organic architectural style.Fallingwater is surrounded by a forest with a river going under the house. The house was built with no air conditioning, but it had an opening to the river under the house that was used to let the natural wind come into the house. The most different thing between Fallingwater and American houses are the windows. The windows in Fallingwater are much bigger than the normal American house. Fallingwater makes you want to go outside rather than stay in the house because of the beauty that surrounds the house.

The summer camp was 7 days long. We planned to arrive at the Pittsburgh three days before the start of summer camp. We arrived early to allow us to explore this new place. We traveled there by Greyhound bus and it took approximately 51/2 to get to our destination. The bus experience went well until one of the windows in the bus broke, but we still arrived to our destination safety. After we arrived, we took another bus to get to the house we would stay for three days. We then went to the nearest store to buy food for dinner and came back. The second day, we went to The Andy Warhol Museum, and to a restaurant to eat our lunch. After lunch, we went back and wait for next day.

The first day that summer camp started, one of the teachers picked us up drove us to Fallingwater. It took 1 hour to from the place we were staying in Pittsburgh to get to Fallingwater. After we arrived, my mom joined a tour to Fallingwater and  after the tour she went back to the place she was staying. Then I went to the meeting place for the summer camp, which was High Meadow, our living place in the summer camp.  The first day of the camp, we introduced ourselves to each other.   All of the students were in grades 10 to 12 grade.  At Fallingwater we draw some scenes with all of our 5 senses. We drew a scene outside the Fallingwater and one in the inside. The outside scene is a road that was covered with green plants on two sides.  The inside one that I drew is of a living room inside of  Fallingwater. After we finished drawing, the sky was turning dark, so we went back to the High Meadow to have our dinner.

On the second day, we went to a workshop which is near the High Meadow to make glasses. We needed to make the glasses using paper. The teacher taught us to sketch before you started making any item. The glasses that I made was a pixel MLG glasses, was based on a video game. Then we went back to Fallingwater once again to draw the outside of the Fallingwater right after our lunch. Since this is a civil engineering summer camp, it will involve a lot of drawing, especially drawing architecture. After that, we had an activity where we needed to make a shelter for an 1 inch big bear figure in the area of the road that I drew in the first day that can protect from other animals. We only got 1 jund of sticky, and you could get material around us like leafs, sticks, rocks… so I built a shelter in the middle of two big two rocks, I use some stick to hold in the under of the house.

On the third day, we went to Norman Robert Foster’s 1900s living place where it has become a museum, Norman Robert Foster is the person who designed the HSBC Building.  We had a tour guide who explained everything about the house. After that we headed outside. It was an open place where we needed to draw again. We stayed there almost the whole day.

In the fourth day, we started at some paperwork, we needed to draw and measure some square-based 3-D shape, the teacher taught us how to drew it in 2D and 3D in the paper. Then we drew a fruit that chosen by teacher and I got a pepper, we needed to drew the top, the side and the cutted side after our lunch. After the dinner, we went back to Fallingwater to got an idea in there for making the concrete in the next day.

In the fifth day, we made our own concrete the whole day, every persons’ concrete was in a cuboid shape, so my design was making a square hole in one of the corner of the cuboid and in the middle of every square hole, there had a cuboid column in it. It liked making the concrete by your own.

In the last two days we had a project that we redesigned an small open area to a photostopping spot that it can take in the rainy and snowy day, it’s like a small shelter, my design was making a 45 degree ceiling to let the rain pour it in one way and four cuboid column in each corner of the ceiling, we have the time for design is a whole day. Then we presented the whole summer camp in your own work and experience with all your assignment to the director of Fallingwater.

After the summer camp, my big brother and I took greyhound bus back to philadelphia and go back home. I have a really good experience in this summer camp, because engineering is my favourite things and the experience in the summer camp, it will be useful for my future.