Advanced Essay #1

Introduction:

My goal for this essay was to connect two important scenes of memory from my life with a common motif. The motif I found was hardship and hardwork. Both my memories have to do with struggling through something and overcoming challenges even though they might be hard or frustrating. I’m extremely proud of how I describe my scenes of memory by using alliteration and descriptive storytelling. Descriptive storytelling is something I enjoy and have put a lot of work into being good at. I think I could have done a little better at building out my reflections by building out to stronger ideas. But, this type of writing is more new to me and I hope to improve as I continue to write more.

I struggle to blink through the thick heavy rain drops that smash into my eyes as I continue the run. It’s qualifiers for the half marathon and I am of a single mind: finish. My legs ache as they give in a little more to gravity each step. I cross the 10 mile mark and I don’t even notice, I’m too busy fighting myself. I’m burning hot and freezing cold at the same time and to equal discomfort. My hands that have been hastily wrapped in my soggy jacket are beginning to go numb. My lungs feel frozen as I inhale my next breath of cold, wet air. The rain above me is heavy and freezing, each drop a sharp thin needle that rips through my body, fracturing me at my core. But I keep moving, fueled by my reluctant determination and stubborn pride I trudge the rest of the way. Whirling around my head is the only clear thought I can think of, “Suck it up Buttercup, who told you life was fair?” The phrase, handed down to me from my parents, has been what’s kept me going in the past, and the only thing keeping me going now. It’s by this phrase I’ve discovered motifs in the world around me. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, and for anything to be achieved, their must be an equal amount of work done to achieve it. I’m reminded of this daily, even though I usually don’t want to be. Ultimate Frisbee practice reinforces this notion daily. Every day starts about the same, 6:00 am and the alarm goes off. I’m torn from my dreams, back into my dark room under heavy quiet sheets. I wake up and look in the mirror to repeat the magic words, “Suck it up buttercup, who told you life was fair?”. Time for practice. Get up, get clothes, get in the car, get to the field. The adrenaline I’ve built up begins to wane as I spill out of the car a tired mess for my first day of ultimate practice. Cold air claws my skin and I’m jolted back awake as I trudge onto the field. My cleats are fresh with newly formed mud as I’m reminded of last night’s thunderstorm with every “Squelch” and “Schlop” my shoes make as they wade through the wet dirt. Freshly cut grass stings my nose, my eyes feel like sandbags sewn to my face, they sting as they try to force themselves back shut, with the little willpower I have I force them back open. I put on my cleats and I stand, zombified, waiting for instructions. “Go for a run” I drag my body into motion as do the other kids on the field. I run around the field and the faster I run, the harder it is for drowsiness to keep up with me. Practice starts and I’m running as fast as I can, my torso trying to keep up with my legs. I’m trying to breath but I’m using more oxygen then I can take in, I’m indebted to my lungs. I hurt in the worst of ways, I want to stop and be able to breathe again more than anything. But the words ring out in my head once more, “Suck it up Buttercup, who told you life was fair?” I keep going.
Hardship and hard work mean so much more than people realize. People often lose sight of putting in work, trading the eventual payoff for the immediate relief in phoning it in. Putting in effort seems to almost be mocked in current culture today. With popular posts on social media advocating for giving up or procrastinating, it’s hard not to be sucked in, to feel validated as you give up. I think people, especially people my age are still learning that the world is dictated by hard work. And the longer it takes for people to recognize it the more work they’ll have to do. Even though we don’t want to, we have to push away the notion that it’s ok to give up or half do something. That’s what the saying means to me, it’s more than a phrase, it’s a representation of what life is and what hard work means. Life is unforgiving, chaotic, and does not have your best interest at heart. That means it’s everyone’s job to engrain what they want into their lives. Even if it starts with a silly saying.