Advanced Essay #3: Can nonviolence be the solution?

Introduction- In this paper I discussed about nonviolence and how that can end many wars going on now. I explained about two activists Martin Luther King Jr. and Mahatma Gandhi. These two powerful men overcame situations in their society nonviolently.

Essay

How often are you scared about your loved ones getting killed every time you step out of your door? America’s trust in nonviolence strategies are nonexistent, even though there were many successful nonviolent movements in our history. There are many ways people can approach a situation nonviolently. If we look into the Afghan war compared to MLK strategies during the civil rights movement, we see how the civil rights movement Nonviolence can solve the problems that war tries to solve, yet constantly fails at. Today, in the United States, we can venerate and follow activists as a role models to end all the violent wars.

Throughout history, many activist leaders approached problems in a nonviolent manner. This brought peace and unity to the nation. An outstanding example is when the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. ended segregation, but not by starting war. Instead, he led protests, strikes, drafted and delivered speeches, and much more. MLK is the reason that we are all able to sit in classrooms with people of many different races, ethnicities, religious backgrounds, persuasions. “Nonviolence is a powerful and just weapon, which cuts without wounding and ennobles the man who wields it. It is a sword that heals,” MLK stated. This is a very powerful quote about how nonviolence is metaphorically a type of weapon that could end violence altogether and, as well, engender tranquility, should people allow it to transpire. MLK united his followers and arrived at a variety of nonviolent acts, yet effective, strategies to peacefully end segregation.

In one of the third world countries, India, this nation achieved its own liberation from a powerful country, the United Kingdom, but in a nonviolent approach. Mahatma Gandhi, was the Indian activist who proposed this approach. It certainly was a major achievement for a third world country to over power the United Kingdom in the 1940’s. This alone is a historical event that has been often overlooked. One may inquire, ‘How did Gandhi accomplish this feat?’ nonviolently, of course, although it may seem unbelievable. Gandhi had two main concepts that he followed, ahimsa and satyagraha. Ahimsa is common in Buddhism, Hinduism and Jainism. This concept translated to “not to injure” or “nonviolence.” Gandhi used this concept to overthrow the colonial rule set by U.K, including the racial discrimination and social divisions. Satyagraha translated to “Holding onto truth” or “truth force.” Gandhi developed this concept as a weapon to fight injustice. It is a way of nonviolent resistance that he used to overrule the British. He was a very peaceful, but  powerful man at that time.“Non-violence is not a garment to be put on and off at will. Its seat is in the heart, and it must be an inseparable part of our being.”said Gandhi. As one can see, Gandhi believed even if you react to a situation violently, it does not solve the problem or come to any sort of a resolution. The problem would instead perpetuate, and may even exacerbate. He believes that people need to have the inner faith and change. Gandhi’s morals and speeches were not the only way India became a country; He started a series of hunger strikes, salt marches, and prohibited Britain from their goods. This all brought independence to India without any deaths or casualties.

Next, is the question, “Why does the U.S constantly deploying missiles and bombing innocent homes?” Afghanistan is constantly being attacked now. The U.S has been doing this for years, and continues without any sense of discontinuation. Further, the Iraq war was going on for 15 years and the Afghanistan war has been going on from 2001, with no foreseeable termination. In an article by Kimberly Amadeo, she stated, “In June 2017, President Donald Trump authorized sending 3,000 to 5,000 more troops into Afghanistan to strengthen training efforts there. On January 11, 2018, the Pentagon announced it will send in drones and 1,000 new combat advisers in advance of the spring fighting season. The administration's focus is on attacking terrorists and not nation-building.” This quotes explains that the U.S government is continuously sending troops to Afghanistan till this day. The president sent troops there just to make their training better. This shows that the Afghanistan war has no specific reason why it is still going on. Sadly to say, the U.S government spends so much on these wars for many unknown reasons. Instead of being vicious, the U.S could easily make peace with Afghanistan and put an end to violence altogether.

When the government take action nonviolently is causes more unity among the nation. It is not just about the government, but also society. Many mass shootings are going on in our neighborhoods. We can all end a situation by approaching it in a peaceful manner. Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr. both successfully brought unity among their own countries without causing crucial destruction. Today we can use these two role models to end many wars going on now. Approaching situations in a negligent manner leads a nation to disintegrate. This is all happening in our society now, as in the aforementioned cases of Syria and Afghanistan. The United States retaliates in a violent way, hundreds and thousands are being put to death because of the sudden bombings. The U.S government can end this and bring unity in a non violent manner. There are more leaders that follow a non-violent approach other than MLK and Gandhi. The United States government could use its tactics and bring unity. Many human lives could be saved and the money could be used for more important needs. If Gandhi can gain independence from Britain, I believe these unnecessary wars can all come to an end. These two events I stated show that taking action nonviolently has a positive and peaceful outcome.  

Citations:

The Balance, Kimberly Amadeo, March 15, 2019. Afghanistan War Cost, Timeline and Economic Impact. https://www.thebalance.com/cost-of-afghanistan-war-timeline-economic-impact-4122493

Srcharitycinti, Pray for Peace and Nonviolence. http://www.srcharitycinti.org/opjcc/images/Nonviolence_prayer.pdf

Tampa Bay Times, January 24. “People Need to Remember King’s message of Nonviolence.”

https://www.tampabay.com/letters/thursdays-letters-people-need-to-remember-kings-message-of-nonviolence-20190124/