Advanced Essay #4: Walk, Ignore, Keep It Going, Repeat

Introduction:

This essay has been one of my best works in terms of talking about how I feel about a certain issue. I honestly had fun writing this, because it allowed me to voice my opinion on a worldwide topic. I focused on taking on certain perspectives on the topic and feel like I have accomplished that goal in this essay. As well as improving on my grammar, I think I did a much better job. Hopefully you enjoy reading this essay as much as I enjoyed writing this.

Street harassment has unknowingly been installed into our society and way of life. As street harassment continues to live in our society, women are becoming more accustomed to the harassment but does that means it’s acceptable? Ignoring the ignorant men has been incorporated into some of woman's daily life routine. Most people would say that street harassment is only a problem in the United States but in reality it's a worldwide problem. People across the world no matter what their cultural background, race or ethnicity is, are still being affected by this problem. In a source I read about worldwide harassment, there is a heavy issue with women being harassed in packed/full trains. We could bring this back in history where it all started. Have women been viewed as less from the start?

Although I find it interesting that street harassment is not only a U.S issue. I still ask myself, can women be harassed even if they are not dress in provocative attire? The answer to that is yes. Being in the shoes of a women is something men won't be able to handle. women are strong individuals who are targeted for the wrong reasons. A women’s body image has a great affect on if a man ‘harrases’ her or leaves her alone. This has been the case for all men, but in the generation I was born into. Things that are said to women may have long lasting effects on her mind more than you think. In this generation, there are different things you can do to survive through street harassment.

I find it ridiculous that their is an actual mobile app for street harassment. “That's where Hollaback! comes in. The original app, released in 2010, was basically a mobile extension of the webs”. Not at the fact that there is one but at the fact that it exists and was needed for people in our society. It just disgusts me this issue is really big and we need to have an actual movement to stop this. People just need to control their mouths and censor their words. Also learn to respect personal space, but can we stop that? Is it possible to stop every single person from harassing?

Most of the posts and sources I have read have been about men targeting women. Is there any such thing as men street harassment? Yes, there is such thing as street harassment towards men. Coincidently, I was so called “harassed” two days ago when I was heading to practice. I had a regular outfit on, a black plain t-shirt, ripped jeans and some black heavy boots. I seen a group of girls walking towards the direction I was walking towards so we were bound to pass each other. That's when one of the girls said “My friend want the oop with you”. That slang, is another phrase for “My friend wants you”. I personally believe that the way I reacted and felt after what she said would have determined if that was considered harassment. I responded with a smile, ignored her and kept walking. It did not make me feel bad at all but just boost my confidence in my looks. Now, I haven't been harassed enough times to understand if that feeling would change if I were harassed on a daily basis or more often. This is where the differences between men and women street harassment intervenes. There are a lot of variables to this like age group, aggressiveness, and emotional feelings. In what ways they are different is definitely something that can not have a direct answer but their is a distinctive difference between both women and men street harassment.

Citations:

CNN. Cable News Network, n.d. Web. 14 Mar. 2017.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/06/living/street-harassment/

Rossalyn Warren, Marie Kirschen, Lane Sainty, Jina Moore, Rachel Wilkerson Miller, Hannah Giorgis, Nirali Shah, Bibiñe Barud. "Here's What Street Harassment Is Like In Eight Countries Around The World." BuzzFeed. BuzzFeed, n.d. Web. 14 Mar. 2017.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/rossalynwarren/what-street-harassment-is-like-in-eight-countries-arou?utm_term=.gqmdzwAmg#.tbZnpyr6o

HKearl, Correspondent, and Contributor. "Blog." Stop Street Harassment. N.p., 12 Mar. 2017. Web. 14 Mar. 2017. <http://www.stopstreetharassment.org/blog>.

Ohikuare, Judith. "An App to Help Women Avoid Street Harassment." The Atlantic. Atlantic Media Company, 13 Sept. 2013. Web. 14 Mar. 2017. <https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/09/an-app-to-help-women-avoid-street-harassment/279642/>

Ramsey, Franchesca. "Guy Walking around NYC for 10 Hours Is the Street Harassment Response for Anyone Who Doesn't Get It." Upworthy. N.p., 30 Oct. 2014. Web. 14 Mar. 2017. <http://www.upworthy.com/guy-walking-around-nyc-for-10-hours-is-the-street-harassment-response-for-anyone-who-doesnt-get-it>.