Ailin Li Capstone

I believe that high-school is a place of constant growth, no matter the grade, it is still a place of daily growth. I want people to realize that change is a completely normal and a human thing to go through. I want students to realize that high-school is not a place that is against you, but working with you, side by side, you just have to figure out how to work and balance things out. For my project, I wanted to invest my time on something that I felt would benefit high-schoolers, or the SLA community specifically. With this in mind, I came up with the idea to create a somewhat reminder of how important high-school is, and how to utilize your time in high-school. Also to remind high-schoolers that this is a place of development, that not everything will go as planned. I wanted to create something that would benefit SLA high-schoolers when advice is needed. I conducted interviews from a person in each grade, asking them a variety of questions that I believed would be useful to hear as a response. I did this hoping it would give advice to those in every grade as well as help them get through high-school a little better. I also included a bunch of pictures that were taken throughout the 2018-2019 school year to showcase this year at SLA and what high-school looks like in pictures.

Annotated Bibliography of Ailin Li

Source #1:

1553827318275256. “Back to the Basics: 6 Important Tips for Documentary Filmmakers.” Video Strategist, Video Strategist, 5 Jan. 2017, blog.storyhunter.com/back-to-the-basics-6-important-tips-for-documentary-filmmakers-3cf36fc01f92.

Not knowing how to record certain things, or being familiar with any angles or lighting, or anything that contributes to having a high quality video, and nice shot of something, this source will not only benefit me when creating my movie, but it will also guide me along the way. I will be allowed to have a much better understanding on how to shoot my movie. This will allow my movie to be smoother and more appealing for the eye to see. This will also allow my movie to have diversity when it comes to the angles, the lighting, and etc.

Source #2: Courage, Film. “My Interview Tips To Documentary Filmmakers by Paul Blackthorne.” YouTube, YouTube, 1 Dec. 2013, www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8L4WgUTpXs.

With my project, interviewing people will have to happen. Although I have been interviewed plenty of times before, I have never been the interviewer, just the interviewee. In order to have a successful interview, I will need help. I will need to learn from to talk, which tone of voice to use, and etc. This source is tips from someone who not only knows how to interview someone, but is also associated with the film and digital world. The tips provided will allow my movie to have a nice flow to the interview when including these interviews into my movie/film/documentary.

Source #3: CreativeCreations.tv. “Creative Tips | How to Interview People.” YouTube, YouTube, 28 July 2016, www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPXOKZQzp-g.

With my project, I will need to interact with others that are involved and active in the community I am a part of. I will need to interview them. I have never interviewed someone in a way where it is important or for something that I am creating, especially not something as big as a senior project. With this being said, this source will help and benefit me when doing this because it will help me be a better interviewer, and giving my interviewee a better interview. I will also learn more and be able to accomplish more out of the person I am interviewing when using tips given from this website.

Source #4: Hartford, The. “7 Tips and Tricks to Keep Yourself Motivated in Any Situation.” Inc.com, Inc., 10 July 2018, www.inc.com/thehartford/7-tips-tricks-to-keep-yourself-motivated.html.

For me, personally, when it comes to projects that I have to do something in my interest. I tend to somewhat lose motivation and I start to procrastinate only due to the fact that I feel as if I can easily get done. This is because I believe that since this is a topic I am familiar with and I am dictating, I can easily wing it, but knowing how big of a project this is, I know that I will need as much motivation as I can get and I will need as much time as I can possibly get as well. This being said, I wanted to look up ways to keep myself motivated because my project is something that I actually want to invest my time into, and naste it. This source can help guide me into being a better student when it comes to completing this project that I feel passionate about.

Source #5:

“How to Make a Documentary.” Adora Learning Center, https://www.adorama.com/alc/how-to-make-a-documentary

Although I know that I can simply use my phone to record and edit and etc, I would also like my movie to be the best it can possibly be. This being said, it can only be done if I use the correct equipment as well as the correct tools. With this source, it tells me what specifically to look for when completing my movie. What techniques to use when completing my movie will also be needed, and this source provides this information. A movie/film/docu consists of so many different aspects and this source is only one of the many sources that will help provide different parts of creating a film like piece.

Source #6: Kessler, Sarah. “How to Conduct a Job Interview.” Inc.com, Inc., www.inc.com/guides/2010/04/conducting-job-interviews.html.

The interviews that I will be conducting will most definitely not be job interviews, but rather interviews that allow me to understand people more, how they have evolved and grown as a person through this community we are all a part of. Although this source does primarily focus on conducting job interviews rather than the interviews that I will be doing, I believe this source will help guide my interviews. Interviews should include being professional and the most professional and successful interviews consists of job interviews. This will help me visualize how the interview should go and what I should leave thinking and with.

Source #7: “Making Documentaries: A Step By Step Guide.” Desktop-Documentaries.com, www.desktop-documentaries.com/making-documentaries.html.

As I said before for the source above, I am not familiar with the digital world, nor do I know where or how to approach/start this “movie” of mine. Although this source does somewhat relate to the source above this one, this source helps me when creating my movie step by step. This will allow my movie to have a better flow and also have a variety of different things that can bring my movie to life. It will allow my movie to be more captivating and be more interesting for myself, as well as the audience to see. This source will help guide me as well.

Source #8: Moore, Michael, and Michael Moore. “Michael Moore's 13 Rules for Making Documentary Films.” IndieWire, IndieWire, 10 Sept. 2014, www.indiewire.com/2014/09/michael-moores-13-rules-for-making-documentary-films-22384/.

I have chosen this source to use when completing my capstone. I am not one who is good with film or documentaries, or anything related to the recording/digital world. With this being said, I  believe feedback and advice from those who know what they are doing and completely familiar with the digital world can help guide me to create the ‘movie” I know I can make. With this source, examples are given as to how to approach certain things, and which certain things to approach when creating this movie of mine. With this source, I also learned to make this documentary not a documentary or film, but a movie.

Source #9: Stibbe, Matthew. “How to Interview Someone like a Journalist.” Inbound Marketing for B2B Technology Companies, The Articulate Marketing Blog, www.articulatemarketing.com/blog/how-to-interview-someone.

When it comes to collecting information and recording information based off of what people are saying, there are certain elements to pay more attention to. There are also different techniques that can be used when focusing and collecting data/info from the interviewee. Although I have a general idea of what I should be paying attention to and focusing on when interviewing people, it doesn’t harm me to have more understanding and techniques as to what to pay attention to, and tips to gather more or close to all information. The best thing I believe doing is writing or collecting almost word for word what the interviewee says and when I can’t exactly record maybe, this source will come in handy.

Source #10: Tips, Science Filmmaking. “6 Tips for (Documentary) Filmmakers.” YouTube, YouTube, 19 Aug. 2015, www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0qsl_Tr_S4.

With this project that I have in mind, I will have to, to the best of my abilities, become almost a director. I am the director of my own film/docu/movie. Knowing nothing about how to be a director, how I want my movie to go, or anything related to how the finish product might look like, this source will definitely help me. Any tips that will allow me to have a better understanding and put together a piece that will capture what I have in mind will help me. This is also specifically towards filmmakers who are created a documentary type piece, which I am, so that will help me as well.