Alexandra McGrorty - Lobbying Blog #4 - Contacting a Representative

I figured that for this portion of my lobbying process, a direct contact would be most useful.

I went online and looked up the contact information for my representative, Chaka Fattah. 

I called his office and left a message with my contact information, hoping that I would get a reply.

I also looked up his email and sent an email introducing the issue I'm lobbying for.

"Hello,My name is Alexandra McGrorty, I am a Philadelphia high school student attending Science Leadership Academy and a constituent of Pennsylvania’s Second Congressional District. I am contacting you because in my American Government class, I am lobbying an issue that I feel is important. I am trying to garner more support and political backing for my topic, and since you are my Congressional Representative, it seemed logical to contact you.

In the media recently, there has been a lot of attention about the Corn Grower's Association petitioning to have the name "Corn Syrup" changed to "Corn Sugar". While this is seen, by many, as not being much of an issue at all, I find it incredibly wrong. I am lobbying for transparency in food labels. I believe that, as consumers, every citizen should be informed of exactly what they are ingesting, and all products should be clearly labeled. Nothing should be changed, especially not for aesthetic's sake, like in the case of corn syrup. Making products sound healthier without attempting to actually make them healthier just sounds like a lie to me. And I believe that we should be concerned with the health of this city, especially.

According to Temple University's Head Chair of Podiatric Medicine and Orthopedics Kathya Zinszer, “Philadelphia’s rate of diabetes is five times higher than the national average,yet diabetes is one of the least understood chronic diseases." This, along with the obesity rate, are reaching epidemic proportions. If consumers are more well informed as to what exactly they are ingesting, it could act as a preventative measure to stop this serious issue. It could also help reversal efforts. However, if consumers are blindsided and uninformed, it will only make issues even worse. This is why I would like to have your support with this issue.

Thank you for your consideration,

Alexandra McGrorty

Science Leadership Academy "

I'm still waiting for replies from both of these contacts, and I hope that I can get some much needed attention as far as labeling transparency and the FDA regulations, because they directly effect my life and the people in this city.