Alice in Wonderland Syndrome

Science

Alice in Wonderland Syndrome is an actual disease of its own. Many people in the general public, even doctors and professionals have a hard time determining if the patient does have Alice in Wonderland Syndrome, also known as the Todd’s Syndrome. Dr. John Todd, a British psychiatrist, was first to acknowledge AIWS in 1955. This syndrome have many triggers, such as migraines, stress, brain tumors, Epstein-Barr Virus infection, drug (cough medicine), etc. Dr. Sheena Aurora, Stanford Neurologist had performed an MRI brain scan (in 2008) on a 13 year old boy during the active cause of AIWS, and found Electrical activity caused abnormal blood flow in areas of brain that controls process texture, shape, and size and that rain activity of patients diagnosed with AIWS are different from those who are not. My sources are reliable, because I went to sources that are known to be trustworthy, and researches done by universities such as Stanford are considered one. All of the sources I had used to better understand this topic, were very similar in the causes and the symptoms

Society

People who are affected by this syndrome, have a hard time describing what they are going through, or keep grounded and feel sane, because with AIWS, it causes Object or environment to appear too big  (macropsia) or too small (micropsia) than they actually are. Things around the person are perceived to be farther or closer than they actually are or at times themselves or other people’s entire body or body part changed in shape and size. Which can play in their mind or whatever it is they are seeing, as to what is reality and what is the thing that only they can see. It affects people lives in a very negative way, knowing that there is no treatment or much research done on this disorder.

Self

I think it is a very interesting disorder that is actually very similar to the experience of a made up cartoon character’s adventure. Alice had experienced the same thing in wonderland, as if she was going delusional. So it is intesting yet scary to see how that applies in our real world, how someone can cope with AIWS, because it distort memory and experience from reality and what the person can only see. I think this disorder deserve more attention towards than what’s it's given now, because there are people who are affected by this, even though this is a rare syndrome, but it’s not so rare where not many to no people diagnosed with it, when there are quite a lot of people affected by this, but compared to the bigger population, it’s considered rare. I don’t think this can be a positive thing at all, nor is it fun and games, even though it’s interesting, it is something very scary and can be very serious depending on the place and situation the person who is diagnosed with this is in.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1bYNwIgiiZlY5fO22t4BwGVQzIL1_CPHFh4YZrHmg-Ns/edit