Amanda Grace Thieu's YATW

Hi there, my name is Amanda Grace Thieu. For this year’s 2012 English class project to take action in the world to make a change, I’ve choose the cause Teenage Depression. I believe that this case should be taken very seriously because it’s how abominable a person feels about a situation or just in general how their outtakes on life. This was the first thought that came into mind when I heard “Pick a topic that struck you to heart and make a change” Teen Depression, I feel is a very gigantic discussion whether someone is actually depressed or just trying to get attention. But I never fail to turn my back on someone who came to me for help and advice. Many of my friends have it and since it affected their lives so much, it’s starting to effect mines. That’s why I want to make a change in the world to help these teens find their happiness. For the project I’m teaming up with my guidance counselor and English teacher to organize a monthly support group lunch here at school. The group may be as small as four people or as large as an entire classroom. But not necessarily everybody has depression maybe they just need someone to talk to or relate to their situation and make new friends. Anyone can join just to talk about their problems, Freshman to Seniors. I am hoping this will change the way people feel about life, also to learn to have a better perspective about any problems they might have.
Depression is a serious mental illness that makes you feel morbid or unhappy for a long period of time. Depression can occur to anyone, but it usually affects teens the most. The chances that teens actually receive professional help is very slim. We do not really like to share our problems with anybody else because we’ve created this wall or barrier to protect ourselves from getting hurt or judged. Now a days people judge you for the silliest things just to make you feel bad, this is basically a sign of insecurity from the person who’s bring you down. But that doesn’t mean that you should stoop down to their level and try to get vengeance. Kids aren’t usually as open to their family than to their friends because they feel that their friends do not judge them because they might go through the same thing they do, where as family members only care that you’re hurting yourself or just thinking you’re seeking attention.

PostPartumDepression300
The  picture above can be interpreted in many ways. How I portray it is, that a mother is listening but not understanding her teen by the way you see the serious expression in her face. The teen seems like she’s crying how she is positioned and how red her forehead seems to be compared to her arms. The daughter figure seems like she has a lot going on in her life but the mother seems like she’s about to yell at her. This picture shows how the adult cannot relate to her teenage daughter.
She wants to but doesn’t know how.

There are many indications of teen depression.
  • Persistent feelings of sadness
  • Feelings of helplessness or hopelessness
  • Decreased interest in school or friends
  • Decreasing in grades if once a good student
  • Alcohol or drug abuse
  • Feeling suicidal
  • Feeling alone
  • Traumatic weight loss or weight gain
  • Low self esteem
  • Sleeping too much or feeling sleepy all the time
  • Frequent Headaches
  • Experiencing difficulty concentrating or thinking
  • Anger problems
  • Behavior changes
  • Slow thinking, speaking or body movements
  • Self-Harm such as, cutting, burning or excessive piercing or tattooing
  • Neglected appearance- such as mismatched clothes and unkempt hair
  • Suicidal thoughts
  • Rapid crying
  • and many more.
  • Stays in their room all day with the door closed
  • Likes being alone all the time

stock-photo-teen-depression-teenager-with-hands-on-head-holding-handgun-40978147
I chose this picture above because this shows that even males have problems too, and since he is holding a gun in his hands he’s giving me the impression that’s he’s thinking about attempting suicide. He might be suffering from some of the cases below.

There are also many causes for depression. For example, family difficulties, the lost of a loved one, or perceived failures may also cause depression so does:
  • Bullying
  • Harassment
  • Self-esteem
  • Relationship issues
  • Sexuality issues

Depressed-teen-6-5-12

The picture above is expressed in a gloomy vibe, you can tell that she’s in a dark place. This picture represents the lonely feeling people have when they are dealing with a strong problem that doesn’t seem to go away, it stays with them everywhere they go.

Many teens go through problems such as sex, drugs, alcohol, relationships etc but it does not exactly mean they have depression. In a teen’s life there are many ups and downs that occur and we learned to stick it out and be strong. That’s not an option for some people. When dealing with these problems it seems like you’re alone the entire way, like you have nobody on your side. The purpose of this project is to support teens in my school that are dealing with any problems, to let them feel welcome and to be there with them right by their side

Here is a link to my Bibliography

Morgan Caswell (Student 2016)
Morgan Caswell

Amanda, I love the idea of supporting teens with depression or if they just have a lot going on and need to talk. I think its great you've made connections with SLA staff to help you with this project. I like how the picture fully reflect everything you're saying. I think this is such a perfect idea. Good job!