Analytical Test in Movies

The ​Bechdel Test 

The Bechdel Test is a way to analyze movies in a feminist perspective. In order to pass The Bechdel Test, a movie must do three things. (1) It has to have at least two women in it, (2) who talk to each other, (3) about something besides a man. This is important because it is important that women are represented fairly, are seen working together effectively. Lastly, and in my opinion most importantly, females should be more than just objects of males’ approval and rather self-sufficient and goal-oriented human beings that seek things that are important.

The movie I have chosen to analyze using The Bechdel Test is Aladdin. I chose this movie because it’s one that I’ve watched a million times and I think that it is important to look at the lessons that young people are learning early on. By looking at this, we can examine what we need to change in order to make a more productive future. Aladdin is a prime example of a Disney Movie that does not pass the Bechdel Test. (1) There is only one female character, Jasmine, (2) She has no other female character to speak to, and (3) The entire movie is about Aladdin's goal and plot to marry Jasmine. In this movie, Jasmine has little to no agency. Although she refuses the suitors that her father brings to her, in the end the thing that brings her happiness is marrying Aladdin. In the movie, she doesn’t seem to have any other goals.

​The Mako Mori Test 

The Mako Mori Test is another way to analyze movies. The criteria of the Mako Mori Test are (1) at least one female character (2) who gets her own narrative arc (2) that is not about supporting a man’s story. This test is important in the same way as The Bechdel Test because it makes the accurate representation of females. Females deserve to have their own character arcs and be apart of a scheme that gives them their own passions and pursuits. The fact that some movies fail this test because they don’t have any female characters with their own character arc is sad but shows that our society is is a bad place when it comes to gender equality.

Sticking to my Disney Princess theme, I’ll be looking at whether or not Mulan passes The Mako Mori Test. Mulan is a young chinese female who joins the army dressed as a man in order to bring pride to her family’s name. Mulan does pass The Mako Mori Test because(1) Mulan is a powerful female character, (2) who has her own journey and goals (3) that aren’t revolving around a male character.  Mulan because of the fact that it passes and The Mako Mori is a better movie to show to kids than Aladdin.

My Test
The Colorism Test 

(1) There is more than one black female in a leading, or at least significant, role (2) who is not light skinned or racially ambiguous (3) and is given traditionally feminine characteristics.

My test is relevant today because not only has racism affected how black women are viewed in the media, so has colorism. Colorism is the idea that having features as close to those as white women makes you a better black woman. Examples of these features are lighter skin, looser curls, and a passive personality. Darker women are therefore less desirable. The third of my test’s criteria is exist because dark skin women, if they are included at all, are often portrayed as a very masculine while their light-skinned counterparts are the declicate and loved damsels. Portraying dark skin women as loud and confrontational is definitely an issue because it feeds into the stereotype that allows men of all races so say that they would never date a darkskin woman.

Grownish is a TV show that showcases the changes and growth of a group of friends throughout college. Though, many of the friends are black, and even black females, there are no dark skin females in the show. Why is that? Do dark skin females not go to college? Where is the representation?

On the other hand, Akeelah and The Bee, is a movie that showcases a young black grils rise to fame through her love of spelling. In the movie there is a dark skin female who is a main character and is smart and soft-spoken, qualities that are usually given to light-skinned actresses. Because of these reasons, Akeelah and The Bee passes my test.
Lastly, another movie that passes my test is The Black Panther because it showcases powerful dark skin women. Initially, I felt that it didn’t pass because the dark skin females, Lupita Nyong'o and Danai Gurira, were depicted in a very masculine and warrior-esque way. But upon further reflection, I’ve realized that there are women who pass the test. Angela Bassett for example is a literal queen and Letitia Wright was ahead of her time in terms of technology.