Applying to become a Foster Parent- Anna Roman

history flow chart

My group member, Shelby, and I worked on the process of becoming a foster parent. Since we couldn’t find to much about the process online I emailed my aunt, who was a foster parent and went through all of this process before, and she was able to contact the foster care agency she went through and they sent us a bunch of information and paper work for becoming a foster parent. Once we got all of that information we were able to start recording the process and filling out the paper work.

The paper work wasn’t really difficult but just asked for a lot of information. It was not just one packet of question or information you had to fill out but there were several papers and packets that we had to fill out. Some of them were basic information one but also ones that talked about your house appliances and how they worked as well as criminal and FBI clearance forms. The paper work also included the different things you would have to send to let them know your certifications, for example, if you CPR certified you would have to send them proof of it.

If we had to change the bureaucratic process flow chart that we made, we could possibly of made it longer like more detailed in places. When we talked about the list of requirements we could of made a bubble for each individual one and talked about the yes and no’s of those as well. But I was happy with how ours came out.

Going back to how detailed the paper work had to be and also how long the process is to become a foster parent, it shows how protected they have made the foster care system. Becoming a foster parent isn’t like applying for a driver’s license, well fare, or anything along those lines. There is a child involved in this process. So before they just give a child to someone they really have to do a background check on who the person and family is so they know that when they let the child stay with this family or person that the child is safe and will be taken care of. The process is a pain in the booty, but it makes sense why it is so long and detailed.