Are humans Still evolving?

evolution

Humans are still evolving. It has been argued that the way that society is set up means that virtually everyone will reproduce, ruling out the selection pressures which were once driving us to evolve. Though in truth, we're evolving faster then ever, Or as Dr. John Hawks said, "The widespread assumption that human evolution has slowed down because it's easier to live and we've conquered nature is absolutely not true. We didn't conquer nature, we changed it in ways that created new selection pressures on us."

A study, led by Dr. John Hawks, has found that humans are evolving up to 100 times faster in the last 5000 years then they have been since we split with the ancestors of Chimps. The study has also found that humans are becoming more genetically diverse, depend on what part of the world they live in. such as the gene for lighter skin in northern Europe, or the African population becoming resistant to Malaria. Or how a majority of the Chinese and African population cannot digest lactose in milk, but a majority of Europeans have a lactose-tolerance gene. One reason could be that in northern Europe there is less sunlight and its lower in intensity, so people make less vitamin D in their skin. Vitamin D is critical for absorbing calcium, so people in Europe needed to be able to digest lactose to increase the amount of Vitamin D they have.

evolution
evolution