Artist Reflection

Originally, I was supposed to do the project involving negative space, using elements as the topic. The process of the entire thing was pretty good. It mainly involved constant sketching, getting feedback from Ms. Hull, and returning to my sketchbook in order to revise whatever seemed to be out of place in the drawing. This went on for a while. Once it was brought to my attention exactly how the sketches would be used, I panicked, practically dreading art class from that moment on. 

We were all warned that linoleum cutters were these sharp, almost dangerous if used incorrectly tools. Now, had this been before, I would've jumped at the chance at attempting to use something with such risk added onto it. However, as soon as the warning stretched onto the fact that if you were to accidentally lose control of the blade, and it happened to puncture the skin, the results seemed fatal. Avoiding giving off some entire life story over a blog post, I considered the tool to be a personal danger. After an email session with Hull, followed by a pretty long conversation, I was in the clear to do something less, sharp, if you will, and was allowed to do a few simple sketches. I decided to draw a few pictures in the style of manga. In a way, they actually correlate to the essential questions and core values.

Inquiry: 
Before being able to do this mini-project, a few questions had to be asked. 'Why do you feel as though you aren't able to complete the element project?' 'What would be most helpful to you, as a student?' And, 'What would make you feel more comfortable,' were just a few pieces to this value. 

Research: 
I poured a lot of research into this, beforehand. Learning how to draw different hairstyles, eyes, expressions, and facial features were some of the basics, before I moved into a few more advanced topics, such as keeping everything aligned, and giving the characters a more animated look. 

Collaboration: 
Throughout the project, I collaborated with both my teachers, and my peers. The various critiques I'd ask from people probably had to be my biggest source of this value. 

Presentation: 
Each drawing has been, 'presented,' to someone at least once. By posting them online, one could also consider that a form of presentation.

Reflection: 
This very blog post! Thinking of what exactly were my highest and weakest points within the project also helped greatly within the creation of the reflection. 
IMG_20130610_123334
IMG_20130610_123334
IMG_20130610_123242
IMG_20130610_123242
IMG_20130610_123216
IMG_20130610_123216