Bailey Collins Sugar Skull

A sugar skull is one small part of the mexican tradition Day of The Dead. This day is used to celebrate and honor loved ones who have passed by having a symbol of the sweetness of death, no matter the sadness. The design of my mask was centered around my mother. She loved the look of traditional flowers so i tried very hard to capture the colors and design.
Creating the mask was tricky at first because I needed to have my classmates plaster my face, which took awhile and it wasn't as perfect as I wished it could be. Then, after pulling my mask off, I was unable to do anything else with it for the day because my classmates plastered my face a few more times for other people. Painting the mask was very simple. I already had a very clear image of how a sugar skull should look because of my experience with seeing the images of them so many times. My mask has my mother's name and date of death painted on the chin, to show my reasons, that aspect was very important in the original design. I still would like to make it glossy now.

Other Artwork
photo
photo
photo (1)
photo (1)
photo (2)
photo (2)
photo (3)
photo (3)
photo (4)
photo (4)