Basic Spanish, posted by Cameron Klales and Matthew Marshall

Part one: Greetings and Goodbyes

created by Cameron Klales and Matthew Marshall

Knowing is important because if you meet someone new who only know Spanish this is how you greet them.

All of the following are ways to say hello:

Spanish

English

Hola

Hello

Buenos dias

Good morning

Buenas tardes

Good afternoon

Buenas noches

Good evening

Good evening can be used as a greeting or a good bye.

The following are ways to say how are you and ways to respond:

Spanish

English

¿Qué tal?

¿Cómo va?

¿Cómo estas?    Informal

¿Cómo esta?      Formal

How are you?

Bien, gracias

Well, thanks

Más o menos

Alright

Mal/ Terrible

Awful

Y tu           Informal

Y Usted    Formal

And you?

¡Ay, ay, ay!

Oh, no!

¡Qué bien!

Oh, good!

You use formal when talking to a person who is older than you. Informal is used talk to people younger than you.

The following are all ways to say goodbye:

Spanish

English

Adiós

Bye

¡Hasta luego!

See you later

¡Hasta pronto!

See you soon

Hasta mañana

See you tomorrow

Qué le vaya bien

Have a good one

Two friends are walking in the hallway and pass each other.

Friend 1: Hola senor. (hello sir)

Friend 2: Hola. ¿Que tal? (hi, how are you?)

Friend 1: Bien. ¿Y tú? (good, and you?)

Friend 2: Muy Bien gracias. Adios. (very good thanks. bye)

Friend 1: Adios. (bye)

Part two: Courtesy Phrases

Created by Cameron Klales and Matthew Marshall

Common courtesy phrases are a good thing to know. If you ever visit a Spanish-speaking country these are things you need to know. There are three ways to say thank you each of them change a little bit.

·      ‘Gracias’ means thanks.

·      Muchas gracias’ means thanks a lot.

·      Mil gracias means thanks a million.

There are also many ways to say you’re welcome:

·      De nada, por nada, and no hay qué, means you’re welcome.

·      ¿Cómo? means what was that?

·      You say cómo when you didn’t hear what somebody said.

·      Por favor means Please.

There are three situations when you use a certain type of phrase to say excuse me:

·      You say con permiso when someone is in your way.

·      You say disculpe to get someone’s attention.

·      Perdón when you bump into somebody.

Scene: A crowed train station. Person 1 and Person 2 are in a crowed train station.

Spanish:

Person 1: (walking on the platform accidentally bumps into a person hurrying to catch her train) Perdón senor.

Persin2: Es más o menos senor. (Person 1 walks away. Person 2 sees he dropped his ID.) Disculpe!!!

(Person 2 keeps running. He catches Person 1 and gives him, his ID)

Person 1: Muchas gracias senor.

Person 2: Por nada.

Part three: Numbers reference sheet.

For most of the following lessons, it is important that you learn/know the numbers 1-100 in Spanish, here is a brief lesson and numbers table, refer back to this as needed throughout the rest of the lesson. The numbers one through fifteen all have their own individual names; these will be the hardest to learn. They still won’t be very difficult though. And once you have them down the rest of the numbers will be a breeze to learn. 

Uno

One

Dos

Two

Tres

Three

Cuatro

Four

Cinco

Five

Seis

Six

Siete

Seven

Ocho

Eight

Nueve

Nine

Diez

Ten

Once

Eleven

Doce

Twelve

Trece

Thirteen

Catorce

Fourteen

Quince

Fifteen

Key:

English

Spanish

Now that you have these down, the rest will be a snap. The numbers 16 through 29 fallow a simple pattern, the tens column number is merged with the units column number. Here is a chart

Dieciseis

Sixteen

Dieciseite

Seventeen

Deiciocho 

Eighteen

Diecinueve

Nineteen

Veinte

Twenty

Veintiuno

Twenty one

Veintidòs

Twenty two

Veintitrès

Twenty three

Veinticautro

Twenty four

Veinticinco

Twenty five

Veintiseis

Twenty six

Veintiseite

Twenty seven

Veintiocho

Twenty eight

Veintineuve

Twenty nine

For the numbers 30-99 the pattern changes. From here you really only need to know the base numbers, so 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 and 90. All of these numbers and their pronunciations are listed below.

Treinta 

Thirty

Cuarenta

Forty

Cincuenta

Fifty

Sesenta

Sixty

Setenta

Seventy

Ochenta

Eighty

noventa

Ninety

So add a unit, you just put “y ______(fill in the blank)” after the tens column number so 33 is written as “treinta y tres” but remember, you pronounce all three of those words as one word.  Refer back to this tutorial as needed throughout the rest of the blog. Now that you have the numbers down you can move on to the date and time.

Part four: The date

Created be Cameron Klales and Matthew Marshall

Ok, so you’ve covered numbers, the time, now on to the date! The easiest place to start with the date is learning the months, or “mes” in spanish. You need to know these before you can answer questions about the date. Here is a table of the months and their translations

Enero

January

Febrero

February

Marzo

Mach

Abril

April

Mayo

May

Junio

June

Julio

July

Agosto

August

Septeimbre

September

Octubre

October

Novembre

November

Deciciembre

December

Key:

English

Spanish

Refer back to this chart as needed throughout the tutorial.

Ok so now you can learn to ask “what is today’s date”. In spanish “what is todays date” translates to “¿Cual es la fecha de hoy?”. Like “¿A Què hora es?” this is not a direct translation. But because different languages use different grammar, it is written differently.

To answer this question, the next thing you should learn is the formant the date is written in. here in America, we write it as MM/DD but in Spanish speaking cultures, its written as DD/MM. as you might guess it is read and said in the same order. Lets say, for example that you were asked this on October the 10th. You would say “es el diez de octubre” be sure to remember that the pattern is always es el [date] de [month]

Situation: one person asks another for todays date:

Person 1#: hola (hi)

Person 2#: hola. ¿cual es la fecha de hoy?(hi, what is todays date?)

Person 1#: Es el uno de noviembre (its the first of novembre)

Part four: Days Of The Week

When you need to plan a future event with someone who only speaks Spanish you need to know the days of the week. The days of the week are:

Spanish:

English:

lunes

Monday

martes

Tuesday

miércoles

Wednesday

jueves

Thursday

viernes

Friday

sábado

Saturday

domingo

Sunday

The days in Spanish aren’t capitalized.

To ask the day of the week you say: ¿Qué día es hoy?

The answer to this question is: Hoy (Today) es (is) ______________

To say "tomorrow" you say "mañana" so "Què dia es hoy" becomes "¿Què dia es mañana?"

Situation: two friends bump into each other in the hallway. one asks the other what day it is and what day tomorrow is:

Person 1#: Hola.

Person 2#: ¿Que dia es hoy?

Person 1#: es lunes

Person 2#: ¿que dia es mañana?

Person 1#: es martes

Part five:Time is of the essence

Ok, now that you have the numbers down, let move on to the time. Knowing the time is as essential in Spanish as it is in English. It will be fairly easy to learn since it fallows the same patterns as it does in the English language. Lets start with the basics. To ask the time in Spanish, you say “¿Què hora es?” or “¿Què hora son? Or ¿Què hora tiene? All of these translate roughly to “What time is it?”

Now, you know how to ask what time it is, but what if you need to ask when something is? To ask this, you use the same basic phrases but you ad “A” in front of them so as a complete phrase, this would be “¿A què hora es?”  While this directly translates to “ at what time is?” but literally means “what time is _______ at?” the answer to “¿Què hora es?” you simply say  “Son las ___” so eight o clock would be, “ Son las ocho” you use “Son las” for all the numbers except the number one, for which you use “Es la” so “Es la una” means its one o clock. To say what time something is at, you follow the same pattern as when your asking, you just add “A” to the front of the sentence. So “A son las ocho” means its at eight. To say it is an hour and some minutes you just add “y __” In Spanish “y” is pronounced as “eee” .  Keep this in mind when using verbal Spanish. This is the same system used so, 8:23 translates to “ocho y ventitrès”. Remember to say the time you say the hour number than the minute number so “[hour] y [minute]”

Now that you have that down, your eighty percent of the way there, all you have left to learn are a few ways to say a few specific times, these are for the half hour and the quarter hour. For the half hour you say “media” so 10:30 is “diez y media”. For the quarter hour, you say “__ y cuarto” for :15 and “__menos cuarto” for :45. Menos is Spanish for “minus” you u start saying “menos” instead of “y” at the :45.

Situation: one friend asks another what time is math class.

Person 1#: Hola(hi)

Person 2#: Hola(hi)

Person 1#: ¿A que hora es la classe de mathematicas?(at what time is math class?)

Person 2#: A son las ocho y media( its at eight  thirty

Person 1#: gracias

Part six: the weather

Knowing how to ask and explain about the weather is a valuable skill; it (if nothing else) will allow you to make small talk among friends and family.

To ask the what the weather is like you say “ ¿Qúe teimpo hace?”.  Remember, teimpo mean weather, not temperature. To ask temperature, you say “ ¿Qùe es la temparatura?”

To reply to ¿Qúe teimpo hace? You can say any of the following, depending on the weather.

Hace  frìo

It’s cold

Hace calor

It’s hot

Hace viento

It’s windy

Hace sol

It’s sunny

Hace fresco

It’s cool

Hace tormentas

It’s stormy

Està loviendo

It’s raining

Està nevando

It’s snowing

Està nublado

It’s cloudy

All of these are applicable to a conversation about the weather.

Key:

Spanish

English

Hace and Està  both mean “it is” or  “it’s” It is also good to know seasons, so that you can articulate yearly weather.

El inveirno

Winter

La primavera

Spring

El verano

Summer

El otono

Fall

Now you can say what is weather is like in a given season. So describing your local weather is made easier. For example, to say “In Philadelphia, it is cold in the winter” you say :” En Filadelfia, el inveirno es moy frìo.

A real life conversation about the weather:

Person 1#: ¡Hola! ¿Que teimpo hace hoy? Translation: Hi, whats the weather like today?

Person 2#:Hace frìo Translation: it’s cold

Person 1#:  Ay Translation: oh

Thank you for using our Spanish tutorial, we hope you found it helpful and can walk away with something new.
yours truly, Cameron Klales and Matthew Marshall