Beautiful.

Characters
Chloe
Edgar
Jackie
Undercover Cop
Rosie
Fat man

Act 1 Scene 1
I opened my eyes and rolled over to the side of the bed and made a disgusted face, the apartment was dirty, my hands felt clammy, my hair was sticking to the sweat on my face, just another normal day. I hate my job, well I guess it’s not really my job considering I get nothing out of it. One night I was with this guy, he didn’t want sex or he didn’t try and get me high or anything, he just wanted someone to talk too. He told me I was beautiful and to be honest he was beautiful himself he said that I could be a model or something, I wish that was true. Anyway back to last night, the apartment I woke up in was disgusting I felt so dirty, well in this job it’s normal too feel gross, dirt was sticking to the sweat on my body all I wanted was a cool shower, I walked over to the bathroom and it was just shit I can’t even explain I’m almost positive if I took a shower I would come out dirtier. I walked out, back to the bedroom, there was a big man in the bed he was also sweating he looked greasy I wanted too throw up, he wasn’t like the beautiful boy I talked to the other night. This man kind of reminded me of my father, poor and dirty, I missed him though. I used to live in Mexico with my parents and 6 well maybe 7 sisters for some reason I can’t remember the exact age.
(Starts to tear up)
Everyday I try to forget what happened too me, the day I was taken out my home and dragged into a dirty smelly white van, they calmly told us not to scream, this one girl with black hair and brown oval eyes started to scream and that’s when it happened a big man, I couldn’t tell if he was dark skinned or just dirty, well he smacked her she had a red hand print across her face and she shut up. They told us we were going across the border to America. I know it wasn’t something to be excited over but I had never been to America before and maybe it would be fun, I had no idea what I was in for. I tried to sleep in the car but I couldn’t get comfortable, I mean could you get comfortable in a tightly packed van with 5 other girls. Days went by we were given the occasional bottle of water no food no nothing. “Salga de la furgoneta”. I still remember Spanish, they have us use it sometimes for certain customers. “Usted está en Nueva York”. They ushered us out the big van and into a house that looked abandoned, that’s when I met him. Edgar, he was scary and big he explained why we were here. “You’re in a business now” he voice was angry, none of us were getting any sympathy. He looked at me he noticed me, he came over and touched my face than slipped his fingers through my hair,
(rubs her hair gently)
“you’re going to earn me anything I need.” he whispered that in my ear, I cringed every time I think about that whisper. He explained what we’d be doing, selling our bodies, in return for drugs, money and anything that would benefit him, if he owed someone a debt they’d get our bodies, every girl in that room was drained of emotion, they couldn’t even bring themselves to cry, I remember that day like it was yesterday, it feels like just yesterday I was 16 well it’s been 2 years I’m 18 and stuck in the same position. I think I have it easiest of all the girls. Edgar thinks I’m the prettiest, so he only uses me for his most important clients, sometimes he has me work when another girl gets sick like when I was in that cruddy apartment, I think they get jealous of me sometimes, I mean if I were in their situation I’d be jealous of me too. Some of the girls have serious problems, I’m not sure why I don’t have problems I mean I do but not like them, its kind of like they turned what’s happening to us into some sick game, they fuck around with these guys minds pretend like they’re in love I mean these guys are already sickos for participating in illegal sex trafficking but still. I guess I like to be alone in the house I only go out when I’m working. Jackie is my only friend in the house, and I wouldn’t even call her a friend she’s the only girl that doesn’t shoot me dirty looks kind of like this (She grimaces) We have no beds in the house just wooden cots and a blanket, there’s no heating for the winter and no air for the summer, we have one bathroom and the windows are covered by bars, Edgar doesn’t live with us, two big Mexican men guard us and make sure we don’t try to runaway or bring unwanted attention towards the house. I wish this could be over, I wish I could change who I was, I wish I could go back to Mexico, be with my family but I cant this is the life I’m stuck with, maybe not forever but defiantly for now.

Act 2 Scene 2
Woman, to me they are the most important creatures on earth, without them I’d be no one, I wouldn’t be where I am today, I am a millionaire, all thanks to woman. My father was in the same business as I am. Some say its wrong and on the news they criticize it but what they don’t understand is that I am helping these girls, these girls are beautiful but they have nothing , what would they do if they stayed in Mexico join a drug ring, sell their bodies there, grow corn? Who knows, but what I know is that they are in America, and everything here is better. I’m showing these girls how to be women, their bodies are my property. There is one girl though, she’s the best, I have white office men after her, I have to make sure she doesn’t complain or cry, I can tell she over thinks things too much, the girls aren’t allowed to write or draw well basically they cant do anything, but her I know she writes but I tell the guards not to say anything, I can’t let my feelings get in the way of business the other girls are starting to notice how I treat her differently, they give her mean looks and brush her off. But back to what I was saying, what I do used to make me feel bad stealing girls from their homes, raping them of their pride but it’s my job and I am good at what I do. After a few years the girls learn to accept that this is what their life is

Act 3 scene 3
Chloe is so beautiful we call ourselves CJ for Chloe and Jackie. We’re best friends, all the girls hate her, I really can’t see why, shes the only one in the house with manners and, she’s just so beautiful, she doesn’t deserve this life, I mean none of us do, but her she could be a model an actress, I treat her well because I know shes going to be something, I just know it everything will work for her, i promise

Act 4 Scene 4
That bitch, she gets all the attention, considering I’m stuck here pulled away from my life my family my friends I deserve to get treated the same way as Chloe, My names Rosie, that’s prettier and more exciting then Chloe. I hate America I can’t be here, no man back home would pay to do whatever he wants to me, no one would ever do that. Chloe, she falls asleep before the rest of us, I stare at her, she isn’t that pretty, she’s nothing. A couple of us spit on her at night once this girl Margarita whose younger and has more of a wild twist to her, suggested that we cut her hair off, man I wish we did. Edgar treats her like she’s royalty SHE’S NOT (Shout this, breaks down in tears) huh ( Looks to side) , shit here I come (Walks off stage)

Act 5 scene 5
I wonder how my younger sister is doing, she’s probably all grown up now, I’m sure she’s beautiful as well, god forbid anyone like Edgar or worse gets to her like they got to me, she doesn’t deserve that. I probably won’t ever see her again (Slightly sniffles) but the memory of her my mother my father and my brothers will always be close. Unlike the rest of the girls, I enjoy America, it’s not like I really get to go out, but when I do I see bright lights the happier people like that beautiful boy I saw, i’d never forget him. When I’m back with the girls in the house I get upset again, they hate me, secretly they all hate each other. I can’t do this anymore I know stuff like this happens all over the world but it never crossed my mind that it would happen to me

Act 6 scene 6
Sex trafficking is something my team and I have being trying to stop since god knows when. It’s hard, we can only arrest them if they’re caught in the act. I know it’s going on all around New York, I don’t have some incrediable 6th sense that tells me if a girl walking down the street is selling herself, I’m just a new york street cop. They’re usually the foreign girls, the ones that look lost and sad, they look around them cautiously eye down rich men skip glances over poor ones. That’s how it works. Most of them look sickly thin, they look drugged up, if we see a girl like that usually we get our undercovers to go in and try to talk to them, get them to offer sex and we make the arrest. If it were up to me I wouldn’t arrest these girls, it’s not their choice, they didn’t choose this life (Shakes head)

Act 7 scene 7
They say that beauty fades but love will remain, how do you get love when you’re fat, slimy and girls only look at you to laugh, that’s right you don’t. I know what i’m doing is wrong and yes I could get arressted but these girls don’t know what they’re doing they make me feel special loved. One girl was absolutly beautiful. I couldn’t bring her home, with my kids. Honestly I couldn’t bring her anywhere, how embaressing would it be if I got aressted, telling my wife, my kids having to explain it to the men at work, nope nope never that.   so I brought her to some shitty apartment that a guy at the fish packaging market lives it smelled and she looked disgusted but she did her job and let me tell you she did it well.