Beauty in a Disaster_Quarters 2 and 1

In the second quarter I focused on using different types of materials to draw the same image. One evening I found myself watching a PBS special on Bob Ross. He was instructing viewers on the importance of different techniques and methods. His focus was too on nature and its natural beauty. His idea about landscape and finding beauty in the middle of disaster are what lead my final project this quarter.

I chose to draw a tornado in the middle of a grass field because tornadoes are some of the most destructive natural disasters. The rip up and destroy everything in their path. They leave every thing out of place, and yet they make a new landscape,  one where beauty must be found in the midst of disaster.

This is the first drawing. It was done with oil pastel and in color.

IMG_20110114_074051

This was the second drawing. It was done  in black charcoal.

.IMG_20110114_073743

The final image was done as a pencil sketch. 

IMG_20110114_073847-1

In the first quarter we focused on recycling and the human impact on the environment. We collected bottle caps. The collection of the bottle caps was to help inspire the pieces created by the students during that quarter and to remove them from the environment.

My sketch is of a hand reaching back toward the earth.  There is a  small recycle symbol in the top right had corner. The hand is pure. It is white, but surrounding it are the negative energies that accompany pollution. The earth matches its environment. Polluted. As the hand reaches back to support the earth, the negative energies fade away. 

This is the final product.
IMG_20110114_073702

IMG_20110114_073702
IMG_20110114_073702